• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Half Elf variant abilities in SCAG

ScuroNotte

Explorer
You can play a specific type of Half Elf, choosing whether your :hmm: is drow, high, wood, etc.

You can choose to not have to skills and select the options which are select Kee Senses ?OR? An ability associated with that particular elf lineage. Shouldn't it have read select Keen Senses AND and ability?

Why give up 2 skills for one

JohnLynch

Explorer
It slipped through editing. It's simple enough to simply ignore the option (in the campaign wiki I've simply not listed that ability so my players don't accidentally take it).

CapnZapp

Legend
I think that sidebar is fine.

After all, it just assumes all the listed racial traits are equal, and lets you switch out one for another.

The fact one of the listed options (Keen Senses) is strictly inferior to the switched-out one (Skill Versatility) could be called a blemish on the quality of the book, but it truly is harmless.

After all, noone is forcing you to choose Keen Senses over Skill Versatility.

In fact, let me come up with a hypothetical to show you why it isn't so unreasonable to include Keen Senses on that list.

Let's say the original Half-Elf trait isn't Skill Versatility, but something else that has nothing to do with skills. Let's pick Fleet of Foot, the wood elf trait that sets your speed to 35 feet.

That sidebar would have instead read "You can replace Fleet of Foot with Keen Senses".

Now, who's to say Keen Senses is worse than Fleet of Foot?

Keep in mind none of you are complaining Fleet of Foot is on that list. In other words, none of you are objecting to the comparison of 2 skills versus +5 speed.

And yet, comparing Fleet of Foot to Keen Senses feels very reasonable.

So it's only because Keen Senses and Skill Versatility happens to be numerically comparable that you feel a mistake has been made.

And if you for a moment ignore the implementation, Keen Senses is a key elf trait, one that all elves get. I can completely understand why it got on the list.

CapnZapp

Legend
It slipped through editing.
Of course it would have been better if it said "...or you keep Skill Versatility and pick Perception as one of your skills to emulate the Keen Senses of your elven heritage".

But as I posted above, I feel it is a bit harsh to dismiss it as something that slipped through editing.

Roleplaying-wise Keen Senses is more than just Perception.

JohnLynch

Explorer
I can create a half-elf and get Keen Senses and have training in a second skill. It's really not worth dwelling on. It's not a big deal.

Lapasta

Explorer
What I found most funny is that they have added a rule for a half-elf whose parent is an aquatic Elf, but they have deemed Sea Elves as too rare to have rules for themselves.

pukunui

Legend
What I found most funny is that they have added a rule for a half-elf whose parent is an aquatic Elf, but they have deemed Sea Elves as too rare to have rules for themselves.
It's not that tricky to come up with something, though.

• +1 to an ability score (Con? Wis?)
  • Weapon Training: Spears and tridents?
  • Amphibious: can breathe air and water
  • Swim speed of 30 feet

How's that?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads