D&D 5E (+) Halfling Appreciation and Development Thread

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think there's as much of a tread as you might think. Agriculture is (slightly) more about civilization and trade than about nature.
While true, remember the gnomes and elves aren’t just out there living in communes. They have civilizations of their own. And having halflings get top billing for agricultural achievements seems odd in worlds where many artists and DMs have those other races bending nature to their will with things like tree cities and the like.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Nice!

…but in D&D, that shtick went to dwarves.🧐
Depends on what you define as a "giant". If you go by D&D terms, with the Giant creature type, yep, that went to dwarves. However, if you do something like the Dwarves from Alagaësia where they consider "giants" to be any race of people that's bigger than them, that could let this work without stepping on the dwarves' toes.

To a halfling, anything taller than a dwarf would be considered a giant.

While true, remember the gnomes and elves aren’t just out there living in communes. They have civilizations of their own. And having halflings get top billing for agricultural achievements seems odd in worlds where many artists and DMs have those other races bending nature to their will with things like tree cities and the like.
Elves (in default settings) have never struck me as notably good farmers. Horticulturalists, yes, and elves can definitely do better than halflings at e.g. growing rare orchids. But elves tend to have large land areas, low population density, and low birth rates and can defend their lands better than most. They just have neither the need nor the interest in competing for growing large amounts of food. Give them an apocalypse and 50 years to develop their skills, and sure. And gnomes have always struck me as mostly too mercurial to make good farmers.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depends on what you define as a "giant". If you go by D&D terms, with the Giant creature type, yep, that went to dwarves. However, if you do something like the Dwarves from Alagaësia where they consider "giants" to be any race of people that's bigger than them, that could let this work without stepping on the dwarves' toes.

To a halfling, anything taller than a dwarf would be considered a giant.
But they shouldn’t call them Giants. That confusing*. What about…”big’uns”?

* not that that ever stopped RW languages, but…

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Elves (in default settings) have never struck me as notably good farmers. Horticulturalists, yes, and elves can definitely do better than halflings at e.g. growing rare orchids. But elves tend to have large land areas, low population density, and low birth rates and can defend their lands better than most. They just have neither the need nor the interest in competing for growing large amounts of food. Give them an apocalypse and 50 years to develop their skills, and sure. And gnomes have always struck me as mostly too mercurial to make good farmers.
If you have big cities, kingdoms or empires, you NEED lots of food.

Remove ads