• Love it!

Votes: 186 63.7%
  • Hate it?

Votes: 35 12.0%
  • I think I'll sit on the fence.

Votes: 71 24.3%

freebfrost

Explorer
It's always been my favorite holiday, and I always try to do more and more to celebrate it each year.

Between the decorations, the trick-or-treaters, the scary movies, and the entire vibe of the holiday - it's just a perfect mix of joy with a touch of the macabre thrown in.

Delicious.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Any festivity that prompts my 4 year old daughter to ask me to open my mouth so she can shine a torch inside and look for eyeballs is pretty cool in my book :D...

Plus it makes my SO put on her kinky witchy hat and dress, which is almost as good as her Santa outfit at Xmas. Good wholesome fun, I say...

Kristivas

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
My fiancee and I were talking about that last night. The few trick or treater's that I saw in our area made me want to be a dad all the more. However, our neighborhood is horrible for Halloween. A bunch of old folks that are either retired or with teenage to college-age kids, so no one but us keeps a light on. Needless to say we don't get too many visitors on Halloween. :( We would have to move (fine by me) to really have any fun on Halloween with our own kids (when/if we have any).

That's easy, you don't have to move! Just do what I'm doing with my kids..

Get in the car about 7, and drive to the rich area of town! No bite-size stuff there! They toss in big ole candy bars and real good stuff.

Kanegrundar

Explorer
Kristivas said:
That's easy, you don't have to move! Just do what I'm doing with my kids..

Get in the car about 7, and drive to the rich area of town! No bite-size stuff there! They toss in big ole candy bars and real good stuff.
I got a feeling that either me or my fiancee (likely wife by the time we have kids) will be driving to my hometown so that family can see them in their costumes most years. Beyond that, oh yeah, they'll be going to ritzier parts of town to get their treats!

I'd like to move irregardless since we don't have room for kids in our house, and the neighborhood, while nice, is far enough in town that everyone keeps to themselves. A younger community would be more fun around holidays, as well as just being more in tune with us at any rate.

Drowbane

First Post
I don't understand (modern) Holidays much.

I'm sure at one point they made sense in relation to the traditions and religions of the masses. However, modern Halloween, Christmas, etc have absolutely no bearing on what they were all about.

Doesn't help that most of them are christian corruptions of pagan holidays... and thus make no damn sense anyways.

A bunch of kids running around in plastic costumes begging for candy? Whats the point of this? Sure its fun... I enjoyed it as a kid too... but its pretty ridiculous if you think about it.

Ignoring the pseudo-religious aspect of it... and I guess I'm on the fence. I can go out drinking and act like a moron on any other day just as well.

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
Voted "hate it", though it's more indifference mixed in with mild dislike.

I don't like themed holidays, they're too artificial, forced, unnatural, gaudy, tacky... But I reserve my loathing for Christmas. In France, Halloween was brought a few years ago by merchants, but it didn't really catch on, every year Halloweenish participation (costume, decoration, etc.) shrinks.

Definitely love it. Carved pumpkins yesterday, watched Land of the Dead and Dracula with Lugosi (and with the Philip Glass score), went to a costume party, and my band played a Halloween concert.

I even ran a Halloween-themed adventure for the gaming group that went over very well (especially since they finally went up a level).

Remove ads