Happy with the magazine content

McTreble

First Post
I go to the DDI website every day and I find something interesting. Today it was a simple editorial on Equilibrium. Some days it's a preview, other days it's a Class Acts article.

I know they're low on adventure content, and a lot of their "series" articles like Monster Ecology and Unearthed Arcana stuff, but they do a good job of tricking me into being a happy subscriber.

Anyone else not so up-in-arms about the content in Dungeon and Dragon lately?

I guess I don't need as much crunchy bits as some people do; I'm fine with the fluff and musings of staff.

Now let's get a BIG November CB Update.

FreeXenon

American Male (he/him); INTP ADHD Introverted Geek
I am pretty happy with it. There are articles every so often that make me go Ooooh! The rest are interesting.

The previews are great and some of their flavor articles are quite cool. I remember the article that gave different Human cultures and backgrounds which really made me want to play a human and I NEVER play humans.

I do see some slacking in the last month or so's content, but I fully expect that once this round of updates (Essentials and Dark Sun) are popped out we should be back to normal.

Loving DDI.... not if only we can get more of it (VTT, character visualizer... etc)! =)

Mengu

First Post
I *am* up in arms about it but...

Today's editorial was the most stimulating article I've read in a while. I found myself nodding and agreeing the whole way through. Sadly for people who didn't know or believe the theory, I'm not sure if the article would sway their contrary opinions.

For people with an open mind to alternative tactics, perhaps they'll begin to consider opportunity costs of the best move for them, and see if their second best move would be the best move for the party.

Back on topic, I'm glad some people are happy with the content, and I have't lost all hope for it. But I guess I'm just one of those people who always want more.

Scribble

First Post
I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting.

I feel like the flavor of the articles is getting better, which makes me happy, and while I'm never opposed to more content, I still think it's a bargain for the money I pay.

Since I'm a yearly subscriber, maybe the delayed updates don't bother me as much either? (Also probably because I primarily DM as opposed to act as a player.)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Dragon for me is always a mixed bag, with periods where there are interesting acticles and then when there are none. It was thus in the print era also.
However, lately I am getting more use out of Dungeon and overall I am pretty happy with it.

zoroaster100

First Post
For me, it seems like once in a while they have a really good article, but mostly I find their "crunch" not very useful. For example, most of the class powers and feats are clearly not as well designed and developed as the powers and feats in the books. I can usually spot a Dragon power or feat in the Character builder before I look at the source, because they are over or under powered or just plain don't follow the design philosophy of the core stuff. When I DM I don't allow Dragon content for characters unless I have the time and inclination to carefully review it myself to see if it is in line.

I do value the adventures though. Sometimes the adventures have serious problems but I've been pleased with the way Chaos Scar adventures provide an easy way to game when the DM has little time to prep.

tentfox

Explorer
I am happy with the content, and even though it is a pain for my group because most of them are cheap bastards who do not pay for a CB, I am happy with the direction for the CB as I see it paving way for bigger and better things.

Some dragon articles are good and I enjoy all the ones about places in FR, Eberron and dark sun. I wish these would be more frequent, and that they would also do some for the NV. I like the quality articles, like the calibre of the ones with essentials support. I do not like the ones which make little sense or are just bloat for the character builder and make making a character without going to the char op forums so I know which 70 feats I can ignore.

I am not overly happy with dungeon magazine, I feel they should have more adventures, over a larger level range and with more support for the campaign settings. I have also mentioned before that it would be good if they could provide maps I could print off without NPC's drawn on them if they are not using dungeon tiles.

Most of all I like the compendium, although the glossary could be more complete. But this a great way to get access to the errata. As a programmer I also would like API access to it :p

renau1g

First Post
I'm glad to see the Dungeon adventures improving, now I just wish they'd get back to 3 of them per month like I used to get. Also, I wish there was a larger variety of levels and worlds for the adventurers (http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-discussion/279776-d-d-4th-edition-dungeon-adventure-list.html for the actual break-down of adventures)

Like many Dragon is a mixed bag for me. Ex. the Wilden article. I don't like the race, therefore I get 0 utility out of it. Others do play Wilden PC's and now have more options. They get the benefit. Now, when a barbarian article comes out I like it and they may not.

Overall, decent stuff. I'd say it's still not as beneficial to me overall as it was when it was in print, but it's still good. I do find I don't read it as much though as I did before.

Riastlin

First Post
Aye, Dragon will always be a mixed bag, and in many respects, the further into the current edition (4th Ed) you go, the more of an issue this will be. Every time a new race, class, or setting is implemented, there's an increased risk that Dragon will provide an article that is not for you. As renaug1 states, wilden are not for me, but for somebody who does play wilden, it becomes a great article.

I'd love to see a runepriest article, but for those who don't play runepriests, the article becomes useless. I think what I would really like to continue to see though are more flavor-oriented articles. Stuff that can be used by a DM as much as by a player. Obviously there still needs to be crunch (heck it becomes a relatively cheap and easy way to produce the equivalent of the Power books -- just over a longer period of time).

I agree too that it would be nice to see more adventures, but who knows where the problem there is coming from. Are they just not getting many quality submissions? Or is there a focus away from them? At least 3 per issue seems like a good goal, particularly since you could then do 1 per tier. We are far enough into 4th Ed's cycle that there are likely plenty of groups looking at Epic level play (though I suppose you could make a good argument for an Epic Adventure every other month).

I too would like to see continued support/supplementals for the assorted campaign settings. Maybe 1 or 2 articles per month and rotating between the settings. That way Eberron fans know that every few months they'll get an article, as will DS fans, FR fans, etc. The majority of each issue can still be dedicated to setting-neutral articles so as to please as many customers as possible.

In the end, every issue will have at least some articles that don't appeal to everyone and the problem is only likely to grow with the new classes and races that get introduce. All in all though, I've been pretty happy. Though I was bummed to see Dungeoncraft go away. Even if most of the advice has been given, just seeing new takes on the approach to running a campaign is helpful. Even the best DM's get writer's block from time to time. I have to say, that I still find DDi to be an incredible value.

Remove ads