Harassment At PaizoCon 2017

In our post-Harvey Weinstein world, more and more people in the various entertainment industries are coming forward with allegations of abuse and harassment, both sexual and psychological. The tabletop gaming industry isn't isolated from this wave of revelation as incidents surface, and will likely continue to surface about professionals, and fans, within the gaming communities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In our post-Harvey Weinstein world, more and more people in the various entertainment industries are coming forward with allegations of abuse and harassment, both sexual and psychological. The tabletop gaming industry isn't isolated from this wave of revelation as incidents surface, and will likely continue to surface about professionals, and fans, within the gaming communities.

Stories of harassment within tabletop gaming, at conventions and stores, and even in local gaming groups are nothing new. That is probably the saddest fact of this whole thing: that despite stories being brought to light, not only does harassment continue to happen but the existence of it continues to be denied by some. This denial is one of the factors that allows abuse and harassment to continue within tabletop RPGs.

Allegations of improper behavior at the 2017 PaizoCon by Frog God Games CEO Bill Webb were brought to life by Pathfinder content creator Robert Brookes. Brookes was attending PaizoCon and has written for Paizo and Legendary Games, among others. In an incident involving alcohol, Webb allegedly sexually harassed another guest at the convention and when a staffer attempted to intervene and injury occurred with the staffer.

In a thread about harassment and abuse on gaming forum RPGNet, Frog God Games partner Matt Finch, creator of the Swords & Wizardry retroclone, confirmed that the incident with Webb occurred, and revealed some details about an internal investigation that the partners of Frog God Games conducted into the incident:

"I am Matt Finch, the partner of Frog God Games appointed by the partners to investigate a sexual harassment complaint filed against Mr. Webb at PaizoCon 2017. Mr. Webb was not consulted by the partners on this decision. Due to recent accusations made on Twitter by a third party, I will outline the aspects of the situation to the extent that they do not compromise the confidentiality of the person who filed the report, I will describe the nature of our internal investigation, and will also address the recently-raised tweets by Robert Brookes on his twitter feed. This report will not necessarily be updated; it stands for itself at the time of posting, based on the knowledge I currently have.

"First, it is correct that a complaint was filed with Paizo at PaizoCon against Bill. I was made aware of this by phone on the day it happened (I was not present at the convention). Frog God is aware of the identity of the person who made the complaint, because they spoke to three of our partners at the convention after the event. We have not been invited to share that person’s identity, and although we are not under legal obligation to protect that confidentiality we have elected to respect that person’s desire not to have the event brought into the spotlight.

"Gathering information in a situation like this is necessarily limited due to Paizo’s own confidentiality obligations. To assemble information, I spoke to the three partners who had talked with the person who filed the complaint, and obtained their accounts of what they were told. Secondhand accounts are not perfect, and I had to weigh that against the fact that an attorney making direct contact with someone who has filed such a report can be seen as a threat or intimidation, and weighing those two issues, I chose to rely on a comparison of the conversations between the individual and our partners, plus Paizo’s own resolution of the matter at the time, plus a necessarily-cautious review of Bill’s account. There has been contact between the person who filed the complaint and Frog God partners since the event, and I will provide a screenshot of one such communication with the name redacted. I believe the screenshot provides a great deal of clarification.

"Reducing the event to a level that will maintain confidentiality, my understanding based on my investigation was that Bill Webb took an action and engaged in speech that could be construed as a sexual advance or as gender-dismissive.

"In consequence of this finding, I and another senior partner of the company had a meeting with Mr. Webb about expectations, standards of behavior, and future protocol. We addressed that one’s lack of bad intentions does not excuse problematic behavior.

"Some people have asked that Mr. Webb acknowledge and apologize for the situation. Bill does deeply regret his actions, and understands that they were inappropriate and upsetting. I have told Mr. Webb not to contact the person directly, for the same reason that I have not done so myself: the potential for that contact to appear intimidating or threatening. However, at whatever time the person lets us know that a direct apology from Mr. Webb would be welcomed, that apology will be immediately forthcoming. Mr. Webb is also under instruction not to discuss this matter in public, in case peripheral details were to be inadvertently disclosed that might allow the identification of the person by another party. This is also the reason we chose to have me, as the investigating partner, write the public report, given that a report has become necessary in response to a recent description of the event on Twitter."

We reached out to Webb for comment upon this incident, and we were directed to the RPGNet post by Finch. This is the company's official statement on what happened at PaizoCon. Whether or not there will be further repercussions within Frog God Games due to this incident and Webb's actions remain to be seen.

Paizo CEO Lisa Stevens has released an official statement on the incident on the Paizo forums. When EN World reached out to Paizo for official comment, we were directed to this statement:

"My name is Lisa Stevens and I am the CEO and owner of Paizo Inc. Events of the past few weeks have compelled me to make this statement.

"My company will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our employees, male or female. We will never condone any sexual harassment or assault against any of our customers on paizo.com or at sanctioned organized play activities. Whenever I hear any allegations of sexual harassment or assault related to Paizo’s activities, I always immediately drop whatever I'm doing and I make getting to the bottom of these issues my top priority. We have banned people from paizo.com. We have banned people from participating in our organized play activities. We have stopped doing business with individuals. And we will continue to do so.
"As a woman and a survivor of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape, I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of these attacks. I know what it is like to feel the shame, the terror, how it changes your life forever. And because of this, I will never stand for my company to condone this behavior.

"Paizo’s employees are encouraged to come forward with any allegations of sexual harassment or assault and let a manager know as soon as possible. If criminal activities have taken place, they are encouraged to report it to the police and take legal action against the perpetrator. We have asked our employees to not engage in explosive and angry dialogue on paizo.com. We want our website to be a place where our customers feel safe and among friends. If there is problem on paizo.com, then our community team will handle it and, where appropriate, ban the perpetrator.

"In closing, you have my word that I have zero tolerance for sexual harassment and assault, and the same is true of Paizo. Please be aware that we treat these issues with tremendous sensitivity, and only disclose the specifics and resolutions of any such incidents on a need-to-know basis, even within Paizo or with our legal counsel. We do not and will not discuss these matters publicly. Every instance that I am aware of has been thoroughly investigated, and appropriate actions have been taken or are in the process of being taken. You have my word on this."

Unrelated to the PaizoCon incident, Brookes also revealed an incident of harassment within the Pathfinder Society organized play program. When a volunteer staffer reported this incident, their supervisor informed them that an NDA they had signed to be part of the program would not allow her to discuss this incident. Paizo has not officially commented on this incident or commented on whether or not there is an investigation into it.

If tabletop role-playing games are truly going to be an inclusive, we have to be better about not just reporting incidents of abuse and harassment but being dedicated to creating spaces that are safe and free of harassment of our fellow gamers. We also need to shine a spotlight onto the incidents of harassment that occur, it is the responsibility of journalists, bloggers and gamers to do this and let people know that their actions will come to light and that they will be held responsible. It is also important to not just talk about those parts of the gaming communities that we don't agree with, but to also bring to light the improper actions of those companies and communities with whom we do agree, because unless every act of harassment is revealed there will be no change within our communities.

Remember that EN World is an inclusive community.
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

MackMcMacky

First Post
There is literally no dispute as to what actually transpired except from those with only an "internet vantage point". There are zero facts in contention from anyone who was actually involved in what happened at PaizoCon, and I completely agree with Hensley that the matter that specific incident is well and truly settled. I can empathize strongly with the desire to leave it well enough alone, and I am more than happy to leave her and what she had go through out of any conversation that moves forward.

The "public" matter is what happens next. The "public" matter, at this point, has nothing to do with the victim ad everything to do with the perpetrator.
You just brought her name up. And no, we don't know what happened after the incident. Others do and I see no reason for someone to armchair quarterback this one.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
You just brought her name up. And no, we don't know what happened after the incident. Others do and I see no reason for someone to armchair quarterback this one.

You're the one brought her up in the first place. And it's clear you're more interested in being a "devil's advocate" than having a serious conversation about a serious problem in our hobby and the industry that supplies it, so I'm done with this.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
there is nothing particularly revealing about any particular person misbehaving being drunk. Their "true" nature is not shown. Their "drunk at that moment" nature is shown.
Paraphrasing Martin Luther:
the man drunk is the man sober, without the veneer of civilization.

Boozer

Explorer
I think we really have to be careful how we conduct ourselves. Clearly these aren't just off color remarks. Goodness we all have off color remarks.

Also while I can only speak for myself, when drunk I am still myself. Regardless, drunkenness isn't an excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

prosfilaes

Adventurer
virtue signaling

To some degree, virtue signaling is how society works. If one of your group steals stuff from the game shop, and the group gets offended, then they're less likely to steal when you're around, and they're less likely to assume that everyone else is going to feel that's cool. And it's possible that someone else in your group will see this, and decide that it's not cool, that it's not socially acceptable to steal from your FLGS.

I believe there's a lot of evil in the hearts of men. And part of society is when someone is thinking about doing something wrong, that they can be discouraged by the fact that the people they have to deal with are going to respond negatively to them for doing it. Sociopaths sometimes live full uncriminal lives because society has successfully taught them they will be punished if they cross the wrong lines.

A documentary TV show about fake 999 calls recently had a bartender who killed a man in his bar in front of two witnesses, who he thought would never come forward. It turns out he was wrong, and maybe if they'd virtue signaled that whatever else their crimes, they didn't truck with murder, he wouldn't have attacked the man with a knife, or at least called for an ambulance while there was still time for it to be assault instead of murder.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
To some degree, virtue signaling is how society works.

A documentary TV show about fake 999 calls
b) Do you mean fake 9-1-1 calls?

a) There are two forms of virtue signaling.
One states that an act or behavior is bad / evil / unacceptable. It is forward-looking, towards an act that has been considered but has not been taken yet. As you note, this happens all the time and is a necessary component of a functioning society.
The obnoxious form of virtue signaling is backward-looking. A person gets up and basically says "I condemn this horrible act that just happened, so I'm a member of the Cool People - and I'm better than you, because I said it first."

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
drunkenness isn't an excuse.
Given your screen name, I was expecting something much less ... sober. :eek:

Alcohol is a lubricant of the brain. How many Darwin Award stories begin with "We had all been drinking..."?

b) Do you mean fake 9-1-1 calls?

One states that an act or behavior is bad / evil / unacceptable. It is forward-looking, towards an act that has been considered but has not been taken yet. As you note, this happens all the time and is a necessary component of a functioning society.
The obnoxious form of virtue signaling is backward-looking. A person gets up and basically says "I condemn this horrible act that just happened, so I'm a member of the Cool People - and I'm better than you, because I said it first."

999 is the UK's 911. (Or maybe 911 is the US's 999. :) Either way 911 is primarily a North American thing)

"Obnoxious virtue signalling" is one of those go-to's that people like to use against those they disagree with, but in reality doesn't really exist enough to be an issue. People condemn actions because they actually find them unacceptable.

prosfilaes

Adventurer

Actually, I was including all those times people got upset about various things on the news or in recent events. This reactions on this thread tell people that drunken harassment is not considered acceptable by a large part of the community. Talking about things that are happening is as frequent a way of communicating social values as preventative statements. Both of them can be used smugly, but complaints about virtue signaling seem to be at least as often about value conflict as any sort of smug superiority.

MackMcMacky

First Post
I think we really have to be careful how we conduct ourselves. Clearly these aren't just off color remarks. Goodness we all have off color remarks.

Also while I can only speak for myself, when drunk I am still myself. Regardless, drunkenness isn't an excuse.
I wish people would pay attention to context, the flow of conversation in this case.

I had someone claim that drunken behavior demonstrated someone's "true" nature. I pointed out that drunken behavior demonstrates someone's "impaired" nature. I don't know anyone who is claiming drunkenness is an excuse. I am disputing the unscientific opinion that drunken behavior is some sort of alignment and personality detector.

A response to a different poster: Martin Luther believed in original sin and human depravity. He may believe that being drunk demonstrates someone's inner nature but he would argue that everyone has a horrible nature to begin with. Another poster is trying to claim that Webb's behavior drunk is a precise indicator of what Webb really is compared to the average angelic member of the community. I think that's ridiculous. What a guy does once when he is drunk isn't a personality test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads