Harassment in gaming

Darkwing Duck

First Post
I
And before you trot out the tired false comparison about men being victims too, make sure you can provide examples of male gamers, or men involved in the gaming industry, that receive rape threats and death threats on the same scale that women do,

This offends the hell out of me. First, there is NO documentation in her letter which allows actual fact checking of any of her stories. so you are favoring a double standard. Second, you are further victimizing male victims by marginalizing them with the piss poor excuse men are the primary players of RPGs. This is the same dynamic which has made it hard to respond appropriately to male victims of domestic violence, male rape victims (which is worse given Hermessmann v. Seyer), (such marginalizing enforced by the FBI definition of rape, making it difficult to get good records on male victims) etc.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure, it is. Because posters have tried to excuse the use of cheap shots (such as "terrorist") on the basis that not using cheap shots means that the message won't be heard.

So, this is _entirely_ about a writer's ability to write persuasively. It is about the piss poor excuse that such cheap shots are needed in order to be heard.

And that's the problem with all these identical threads. That's the takeaway, that it's about a writer's ability to write well, not about the issue of harassment.

Rottle

First Post
You missed the Winnipeg Free Press article?

I really wish we could move away from that artical, it's become a poison pill to this subject.

Is the artical really more important then the topic? Is it? Seriously if one artical matters more then harassment in the gaming community then maybe we can just assume harassment is so minor it simply doesn't matter. Both sides keep bringing up this poison pill, but I am mystified why those who want to make change keep allowing themselves to get dragged back into this quagmire.

Please if you really want to address the topic of harassment and what we as gamers can do to make it safer for each other, please do not allow yourself to be dragged into the debates about the artical.

Darkwing Duck

First Post
maybe we can just assume harassment is so minor it simply doesn't matter.

To me, the issue isn't about whether harassment is so minor it simply doesn't matter. ALL harassment matters. The issue is what to do about it. Using cheap shots like "white male terrorism" is counter-productive. In fact, it is harmful.

Darkwing Duck

First Post
And that's the problem with all these identical threads. That's the takeaway, that it's about a writer's ability to write well, not about the issue of harassment.

If the original writer made the attempt to write persuasively, maturely, and appropriately about the harassment, the issue wouldn't be about their inability to write well.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If the original writer made the attempt to write persuasively, maturely, and appropriately about the harassment, the issue wouldn't be about their inability to write well.

I'm not going to be drawn into hypocritically contributing to the problem I'm describing. That means I'm absolutely not going to discuss the author's writing style.

Still not talking about harassment!

Darkwing Duck

First Post
I'm not going to be drawn into hypocritically contributing to the problem I'm describing. That means I'm absolutely not going to discuss the author's writing style.

Still not talking about harassment!

I see no value in approaching the problem in a counter-productive manner (promoted by her writing style).

Remove ads