• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hard Data dilemma, Forked Thread: Goodman state of 4E

roguerouge

First Post
In the absence of hard data, tentative conclusions are necessary. In the absence of hard data, all arguments from those with a financial stake in the argument must be regarded as deeply suspect. When hard data is absent, appeals to authority or "experience" or "industry placement" often occur.

Can discussion occur? Yes. Not all evidence is hard data.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I didn't mean Clarke was a better authority than Goodman, only that Goodman was NOT better than Clarke (i.e. that they are equal).

Ah. Yes, that makes sense. I thought that I may have been reading you incorrectly, but it was hard to tell due to the brevity of your post. Thank you for your clarification.

Also, I've been taking Goodman's statements NOT to speak to 4e proper, but rather, 4e for HIM. I'd say they are next generalizable to other 3pp publishers, and then to the edition as a whole (i.e. including WotC).

This also makes perfect sense. Again, thank you! :)

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I didn't mean Clarke was a better authority than Goodman, only that Goodman was NOT better than Clarke (i.e. that they are equal).

Also, I've been taking Goodman's statements NOT to speak to 4e proper, but rather, 4e for HIM. I'd say they are next generalizable to other 3pp publishers, and then to the edition as a whole (i.e. including WotC).

Maybe I missed something somewhere, but that's what I believe Goodman is saying: that 4e is selling well for his company. Clarke said that 4e seems unlikely to sell well for his company.

I'd consider them equivalent experts on their own companies and the place that the market has available for them.

You are missing the relationship between 3pp and the hobby as a whole. Clark says that its not a good time for 3pp and that D&D isn't on the open gaming bandwagon. Goodman says that 4E is selling well and he is doing well with it. What Goodman says means more to the hobby as a whole because WotC and D&D are the majority of the hobby as a whole. 3pp are small fish in the pond, and while it may mean a lot to you or to Clark, Clark's statement does not mean as much as Goodman's in the big picture. Clark is talking about 3PP, their success, and their relationship to D&D. Goodman is talking about his success as a single 3PP, and the success of the industry leader.

Remove ads