• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hardest encounters

Worst time the party ever had was against a Balhannoth. That thing is pure evil, especially when played by a DM who is a tactical master, like me. They even found ways to screw it over and it still wrecked them.

malraux

First Post
This encounter came close to wiping my level 5 party.

Oni Mage - deleveled to level 5
Irontooth level 3 (yes, he easily survived KotS, so I had him pop back up as part of later machinations)
Greenscale Darter - level 5
Bugbear Strangler - level 6

I will say that the party discovering the bugbear's special ability was really a surprise, as the fighter was using a heavily damaging encounter power and ended up dropping the rogue instead. The evil GM grin was large that time.

Doctor Proctor

First Post
We also found hobgoblins are very nasty.

The soldiers have an AC of 20 (22) at just 3rd level.

Compared with ACs at a few levels higher than that it is simply excellent.

Yeah, the Hobgoblins have been pretty rough on my party too. We're doing KotS and we just ran into them last session. I got a Longsword +1 from the Adventure, so I'm currently at a +10 to hit. So for me, they're not too bad at all.

Our Ranger, on the other hand, is having a lot of trouble. He spread his stats out way too much, and only has a 14 for his Dex. So at level 2 he's got a +5 to hit, which means he has to roll a 15 (17) just to touch them. Even with getting two rolls from Twin Strike, he misses most of the time.

Irontooth (KotS) ;)

Bye
Thanee

We didn't have too much trouble with Irontooth once I was able to get to him. Two words: Villain's Menace. :devil:

Gruns

Explorer
So far...

The Group I DM for just hit level 8, but by far the things that cause the most trouble are Artillery that targets Reflex. The main tank, err umm, defender in the group is a Plate Mail/Heavy Shield paladin, so his AC is above average and he can go toe to toe with any melee types. When the Flame Orbs start flying though, he is hard to miss.
I suppose a group of mostly Dex strikers might find the opposite to be true, though...
Later!
Gruns

Markn

First Post
We had a particularly difficult fight in mounted combat against shifters.

The Shifters would charge (provoking several OAs from the PCs). As per mounted combat rules we could target the rider or the mount. If we chose the rider, this would allow the Shifters to use their Short Sword Riposte power against the attacker for each OA attack that was incurred due to the fact that it is a free action and NOT considered an immediate action. We found they hit us more often than we hit them.

Until we chose to attack the mount instead we were getting pummeled. We kept wanting to attack the rider but in this instance the mount would have been the better choice.

Zsig

Explorer
My players hates Controllers of all sorts.

They already faced a TPK, basicly by the hands of an Orc Eye of Gruumsh (and several other stuff), which kept lowering their AC by 4 every turn (minor action too) making them easy targets for the other orcs..

Now, when they see a "mage" type sort of critter, it quickly becomes their priority target.

Soldiers are kinda hard too, but when there's one, it's easier to just ignore him and take care of the rest of the critters, then alone, not so tough.

My Lego

Explorer
Any encounter with an controller seems to be pure poison for my group. Goblin hexers and Ettercap webspinners have resulted in TPK for them.

Thinking about this, the most dangerous enemies of PCs are in almost all cases players. PCs get into more trouble and danger through the stupidity and mistakes of the people playing them than any quality the monsters have.

Thinking over my 4E career(90% of which came sitting in the DM's chair), most of the scary situations and actual deaths came from player stupidity above all other concerns.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
A mix of Brutes, a few Skirmishers to swoop in and out with alphastrikes like sharks mixed with Hazards have put my group near-death more than twice now - and I built the encounter on Moderate. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads