• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hardest encounters

Tony Vargas

Legend
Controllers - the monster type, that is - seem to be the worst. They have good all-around defenses, no glaring weakness like brutes (REF) or skirmishers (FORT) - even thier WILL tends to be good. Thier attacks hit reasonably well and inflict conditions. Conditions are frustrating.

However, level-apropriate n+/-1, controllers aren't that bad. It's overlevelled (n+4 or more) controllers that are a nightmare. You can't bring them down quickly or count on hitting with a significant encounter or daily at a critical moment, even if it is heavily 'buffed' by your allies, while they layer conditions on you every round, rarely missing. If it's one with an AE condition-inflicting attack, it becomes especially bad.

The examples that drove this home IMX were the final encounters from H1 & H2.

There are also some monsters that just seem a little off. I haven't encountered needlefang drake swarms yet, but I've noticed a similar issue with Ghouls. The problem is 'soldiers' who have 'striker like' (I guess 'skirmisher') damage boosts. Soldiers work like defenders, they have good hps, are tough, and somewhate 'sticky.' That's fine. But, give a soldier extra conditional damage, and he can use that durrability to deliver it over and over again - and kill you. Ghouls were the ones we experienced: soldier defenses, good hps, conditional high damage /that also stunned/, /and/ regular attacks that inflicted the condition that enabled the high damage. A couple of rounds of failed saves and a ghoul will litterally eat an apropriate-level PC alive - even a defender. On paper, needlefang drake swarms suffer from the same kind of bug.

OTOH, IMX, brutes - even brutes like Gnolls, evistros and gaurd drakes that have similarly inapropriate extra-damage powers (that should be given to skirmishers) - aren't /that/ bad. They don't hit that well, and you can hit them dependably, bringing them down by concentrating attacks, high hps or no, or inflicting conditions or forced movements to sieze control of the battle from them.

Lurkers and Skirmishers are potentially big problems, especially on paper, but it all depends on how viciously the DM plays them, whether and to what degree terrain/situation favors them, and how the PCs react and deal with them. So far, we haven't had a major problem with them, like have had with overlevelled controllers or uber-damage soldiers.

Artillery, like ranged PCs, can dish a lot of damage if you can't get cover/concealment from then, and can't reach them, yourself. Our party is fairly strong on range - wizard, lazer cleric, & archer-ranger, enhanced by a tactical warlord - so artillery hasn't be a major problem for us.

Finally, believe it or not, minions will kick your ass if you don't sweep them early in the encounter. They hit about as often as regular monsters, and there can be a lot of them, causing thier fixed damage to add up - and they can provide flanking or otherwise set up other monsters' conditional damage powers. Some of them even have such attacks themselves. We've had two encounters (albeit, over 6 levels) in which we failed the minion-sweeping early, and that made both of them significantly tougher.

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
I will say that the party discovering the bugbear's special ability was really a surprise, as the fighter was using a heavily damaging encounter power and ended up dropping the rogue instead. The evil GM grin was large that time.

Did you describe it in a way that they could figure out that he was hiding behind the victim, or was it a complete shock?

malraux

First Post
Did you describe it in a way that they could figure out that he was hiding behind the victim, or was it a complete shock?

I gave a few hints, but not much. In general I try to avoid "surprise" abilities, but a few of them are good, especially if there no reason to suspect it.

IME, ranged minions are surprisingly deadly. They can focus fire on one PC, especially if the terrain makes them hard to hit, and minons aren't worth many XP, so you can use them.

Guard drakes seem deadly, probably due to me rolling obscenely lucky though. They do very high damage.

Vampire spawn were quite deadly; despite being minions, they were basically impossible to hit, really frustrating the wizard (their base defenses were all high, too). I TPK'd with a bunch of them.

Soldiers hit a lot, and if they have any special abilities based on their straight-up attack bonus, they can get deadly, fast. Brutes are kind of wimpy; PCs aren't challenged to hit them with special abilities (especially martial types, who virtually always target AC).

Syrsuro

First Post
The hardest one so far was a combination of a wraith (Level 5 lurker) and two ghouls (Level 5 soldier) when the party was 2nd level.

The budget was 600 XP, or 120 XP per player so it was right on.

But I've played this encounter once and DMed it once and it was tough on both parties. The effect of higher level creatures (harder to hit, hit the party well), combined with status effects (ghoul immobilize/stunn; wraith weakend) and insubstantial (wraith) presented a major challenge for the party and in both cases, although the party survived, there was a significant chance of death or even TPK. (The fact that the encounter is written to result in the party most likely being surrounded/ambushed was also a major factor).

Other than that, the most difficult encounters have involved traps with significant ranged attacks. The ability these have to ignore the defender and attack other targets can make them very deadly and by being ranged and often difficult to access they are harder to eliminate.

Carl

I had a nasty combination of a Mad Wraith, an NPC Wizard using Stinking Cloud, assorted other undead, and a very small room, small to the point where there were only four squares that the Stinking Cloud didn't cover. The Mad Wraith's aura dazes, so it was almost impossible to get out of the cloud for the PCs, which didn't affect any of the poison immune Undead. I think this was the only 4E battle I actually went easy on the PCs for, because as soon as I found that the encounter was this much more deadly than I intended, I started "forgetting" about the Wraith's aura.

Last edited:

mlangsdorf

First Post
I second Mad Wraiths as an especially nasty monster. That automatic Daze aura is a killer, especially if there are sneak attacking monsters nearby.

Another nasty undead are the Wights. They aren't supremely dangerous in themselves, but the loss of Healing Surges cripples the party's ability to continue for the day.

Turtlejay

First Post
Ghouls are vicious, with that 3d6+ damage attack on an immobilized player, if they gang up on someone there is a good chance they will die before anyone knows it. That happened to us.

The only times as a DM I felt that something was too tough was a fight with four guard drakes. Getting their bonus damage the entire time (until there was only one left). The other time was against a hobgoblin NPC with several other hobbos. Neither came close to a TPK, but they were encounters set at party level. If I had put them at +1 or +3, I think it could have been disasterous.

Jay

Verys Arkon

First Post
First encounter of a new campaign had Needlefang drake swarms, and was very close to a TPK. Would have been the shortest campaign ever.

IanB

First Post
Add my voice to the mad wraith chorus, especially if you lack radiant damage in the party to shut the aura down.

They daze you, so they're basically impossible to get away from, and people they kill come back as more of them, so when you come back for revenge the fight is even worse.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads