D&D 3E/3.5 has anyone converted the Atl-Atl into 3e?

Devon

First Post
Hi, folks,

One of my players wanted an atl-atl (the genius primitive device that almost doubles the leverage one can use to throw spears) and I was wondering if anyone has already created a 3e writeup for this device?

- Devon

Last edited:

Jerrid Al-Kundo

First Post
The Atl-Atl appears in The Primal Codex (Neatherland Games) and the Quintessential Fighter (Mongoose).

If no one's posted the stats by the time I get home (no books on me, I'm at work, can't you tell..?), I'll post them then.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The basic principle is extra range and extra penetrating power. I would give the Atl-Atl double the range increment and one die size larger, but make it an exotic weapon proficiency.

Cheers

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Good point Vax... having used one (and believe me, it is a lot more exotic than just chucking a spear!) I can't imagine someone throwing lots of them in a round, even with quickdraw!

I think I would probably treat it more like a sling in terms of re-loading (Is there a difference in 3e?)--it should certainly have a ROF faster than a crossbow.

Also, don't forget to limit its use in cramped or confined spaces, especially with obstructions overhead--again, much as with a sling.

You also might consider allowing it to be used as a light club in melee.

Devon

First Post
Should it make the damage die one better, or give it a better threat range (or both)?

- Devon

Here's what I have so far:
Atl-Atl
Exotic Light Ranged Weapon
Loading is a move-equivalent action
Doubles the range increment on a javelin, spear or half spear, and increases the damage type by one (a javelin's 1d6 damage would be changed to a 1d8, a shortspear would change from 1d8 to 1d10)

Jerrid Al-Kundo

First Post
From The Primal Codex:

Atlatl_5 gp_1d8_X4_90'_3 lb_Piercing

From Quintessential Fighter:

Javelin (w/Atlatl), 1d6+1 damage, x2 critical, 60', Piercing

Both are Martial.

I, personnally, favor the Quint version.

Remove ads