D&D 5E Has anyone else watched too much Naruto and want the Unarmored Movement level 9 ability to last

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
Step of the Wind - At 2nd level, You can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action on your turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn.
Unarmored Movement Improvement - At 9th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during your move.

The basic concept is a monk subclass (aka Ninja) that gets the effects of the ring of water walking (uncommon, no attunement) and slippers of spider climbing (uncommon, attunement) as a permanent class feature. So the abilities are not out of the scope of D&D as it is. So if you wanted to jump up a powerful water fall you would use 1ki for step of the wind (aka jump and expeditious retreat spells) then unarmored movement could be altered to so that and additional 1 ki could be spent for water walk and spider climb to last until the start of your next turn at which you may use 1 ki again to maintain it.

The Unarmored movement improvement at level 9 touches on it but as it reads when you end your movement the effect ends. So I have never seen it actually work in a game. I have seen people try get 5ft from the ledge and fall or run out on water then sink and get swept away by the current when they stop to attack or when their turn ends but its an "almost good" feature that temps players to use it but then doesn't deliver. Reference at top for those who are not familiar. But shows the in principal a level of monk study in this area.

Way of the Four Elements touches some aspects of these types of monk, but the mobility aspect is not over powered and in general more interesting to me. When your making the change to a standard monk feature then allowing this subclass your basically there.

Last edited:

I honestly let them do it as much as they want, as long as they keep moving. There is no 'stopping at the end of my turn' and it breaks nothing for a class that desperately needs improvement.

raysosher

Ray Sosher
Yes! I did and really want unarmed ability to last. This is the best series that I have watched aver and over again. I would recommend it to anyone. I loved it so much that I have seen all related type series like soul eater, Fullmetal Alchemist and lastly I have seen Demon Slayer. They were good but the good old Naruto is still i my heart wanting for more.

Remove ads