D&D General Has anyone played in a group where everyone was a member of the same species? (+)

To me, parties composed of mixed species seem to be the norm in D&D, as each player wants to role-play as their favorite species. But are there any examples out there where a group decided to role-play as members of the same species? ;) If any of you have played in such a group, what was it like? I am going to make this a + thread FYE.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Everyone in my current group is currently a homo sapiens, although sometimes we have felis catus jump up on the table. :)

Real answer, I can't think of the last time I've even had a majority of the same race in a group at a table, let alone the entire group. It's pretty rare for us to even have a double-up of race in 5e.

Vendral

Explorer
We had a short campaign where the players was part of a dwarven mining community with the premise that everyone would play a dwarf. 5 out of 6 played a dwarf, the sixth player decided to be a goliath. ... there i always one.
We decided that the goliath was a (friendly) hostage exchange where the eldest of the dwarf community ruler lived amongst the goliath tribe and the eldest of the goliath tribe lived amongst the dwarves in order to facilitate friendly relations (or else...)

It was a fun little short campaign where the players liked to have a common background and goals (with the exception of the goliath).

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
To me, parties composed of mixed species seem to be the norm in D&D, as each player wants to role-play as their favorite species. But are there any examples out there where a group decided to role-play as members of the same species? ;) If any of you have played in such a group, what was it like? I am going to make this a + thread FYE.
It might not be quite what you were looking for since it's so unusual. I ran a 3.5 campaign where everyone was a dragon hatchling (different varieties) with advancement in regular PC class/PrC levels once they bought off their level adjustment.

The physical limitations were a shock to a couple players who showed up wanting to world a weapon of some form other than claws/bite/breath, but there were a lot of interesting monstrous and draconic feats that allowed weapon using classes to dial it up in unique & interesting ways that wouldn't normally be an option. The players were often significantly hindered by not being able to use silver/cold iron/etc weapons and sometimes needed to accept that or work around it in creative ways.

Beyond the mechanical differences it allowed a rather fun theme where the party was always the alien culture of scary predators trying to interact with a world that viewed the PCs as hard to trust scary predators with what they were sure was always sound reasoning.its a totally different thing when a party of humanoid PCs gets back from dealing with a bandit threat still bloody and tarnished from the deed than when a party of dragon hatchlings trot up still bloody and scuffed after being beaten by one of the bandits to a town alerted to the dragon invasion or whatever:). The most fun for everyone was the way it let me creatively word noc behavior in ways that leaned into the differences (No not fear/scared/terrified... Prey like/adrenaline scented/etc) and use skill checks to do the same in reverse sometimes. Once it started to click with everyone that sometimes started going both ways even when doing it would obviously result in the party arguing about how Bob is scaring the cheer-leader(elder mayor duke whatever) with an effort to reassure him by "slinking around him I'm kind of a c shape so he feels less vulnerable with a dragon protecting his back and sides from unseen predators lurking in the shadows that prey always fears" while another tries to reassure him that they consider him worthy of a quick death and would never let it happen slowly in an effort to calm the poor prey-leader. Nature of predators kinda gets into some of that "we are the aliens and holy crap we are bizarre" cultural misunderstanding but with omnivorous humans instead of apex predator carnivorous dragons & I highly recommend it both as a story as well as ways of widening interspecies interaction gaps to the players :)

pawsplay

Hero

Sure, I've played Oops! All Humans games.

It might not be quite what you were looking for since it's so unusual. I ran a 3.5 campaign where everyone was a dragon hatchling (different varieties) with advancement in regular PC class/PrC levels once they bought off their level adjustment.

The physical limitations were a shock to a couple players who showed up wanting to world a weapon of some form other than claws/bite/breath, but there were a lot of interesting monstrous and draconic feats that allowed weapon using classes to dial it up in unique & interesting ways that wouldn't normally be an option. The players were often significantly hindered by not being able to use silver/cold iron/etc weapons and sometimes needed to accept that or work around it in creative ways.

Beyond the mechanical differences it allowed a rather fun theme where the party was always the alien culture of scary predators trying to interact with a world that viewed the PCs as hard to trust scary predators with what they were sure was always sound reasoning.its a totally different thing when a party of humanoid PCs gets back from dealing with a bandit threat still bloody and tarnished from the deed than when a party of dragon hatchlings trot up still bloody and scuffed after being beaten by one of the bandits to a town alerted to the dragon invasion or whatever:). The most fun for everyone was the way it let me creatively word noc behavior in ways that leaned into the differences (No not fear/scared/terrified... Prey like/adrenaline scented/etc) and use skill checks to do the same in reverse sometimes. Once it started to click with everyone that sometimes started going both ways even when doing it would obviously result in the party arguing about how Bob is scaring the cheer-leader(elder mayor duke whatever) with an effort to reassure him by "slinking around him I'm kind of a c shape so he feels less vulnerable with a dragon protecting his back and sides from unseen predators lurking in the shadows that prey always fears" while another tries to reassure him that they consider him worthy of a quick death and would never let it happen slowly in an effort to calm the poor prey-leader. Nature of predators kinda gets into some of that "we are the aliens and holy crap we are bizarre" cultural misunderstanding but with omnivorous humans instead of apex predator carnivorous dragons & I highly recommend it both as a story as well as ways of widening interspecies interaction gaps to the players :)
It's cool. (y) Before 4e, Dragon Magazine had two articles where you could play a Dragon PC as though they were a class. One article covered the Chromatic Dragons, the other covered the Metallic Dragons. Each Chromatic and Metallic Dragon had their own class, and each class was designed to cover the first four age categories (Wyrmling to Very Young, I believe).

I like how your party role-played things from a draconic point of view. :)

Meech17

Adventurer
I can't say I've ever gotten to do this. It has the potential to be fun though. I did play in a game once where three of the five players (Including myself) were all gnomes and were related. Like two brothers and a cousin or something.

It was goofy and chock full of Three Stooges style humor. We each had an archetype that we played into. One was smart, but socially abrasive. One was dexterous but dopey. The last was charming but over confident to a fault. It also made things easy to start as there was no awkward "You all are in the same tavern, please find a way to end up in a group together."

I would definitely do it again. I think when I get to a point where we complete a major story milestone in the campaign I'm running I'm going to do a for funsies one shot where everyone plays a Kobold. I read about it on here a few months back, and I'd have to go find it again, but there's a free one available online that looks like fun.

Sure, I've played Oops! All Humans games.

I've definitely seen this happen once it twice though the years. I think there was also a short lived game where everyone just happened to be elf or half-elf. In neither case was it a large factor, probably because it was unplanned.

Yes. Wasn't even uncommon back in the day. You'd either get a GM who wanted an all-whatever game (usually human because they were going more historical or wanted to reserve the demi-humans as more alien types) or you'd get a group where everyone agreed to play Dwarves or elves or something just for the kicks - sometimes they'd be relatives (cue "seven Dwarves" jokes). The Hobbit is pretty much an all-Dwarf party with a token hobbit along and a wizard who drops out of the campaign around the fifth session. Elves were seen as kind of OP in some earlier editions so groups of them and/or half-elves weren't unknown either. The old Talislanta ads boasting about "no elves!" is a joke based on that phenomenon.

One of the common objections to modern D&D that you'll see in the OSR community is the sheer number of species available for PCs, evoking complaints about the "cantina effect" and less polite grumblings. I'll admit I prefer human-centric parties myself, although that stems partly from preferring Runequest/Glorantha's approach to non-human PCs - they're generally rarer and have more alien mindsets and motivations than D&D species do.

Remove ads