• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Has anyone played in a group where everyone was a member of the same species? (+)

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
It's cool. (y) Before 4e, Dragon Magazine had two articles where you could play a Dragon PC as though they were a class. One article covered the Chromatic Dragons, the other covered the Metallic Dragons. Each Chromatic and Metallic Dragon had their own class, and each class was designed to cover the first four age categories (Wyrmling to Very Young, I believe).

I like how your party role-played things from a draconic point of view. :)
We just used the level adjustment playing as a monster rules in the mm and regular PC classes iirc. A big part of getting the roleplay to work out lies in setting the scene for the right mindset. If the PCs have trouble telling one prey-villager from another without scale patterns or whatever (they did!) maybe just introduce them by their clothing or something. Describe important details like the ingestible marinades (food and drink) without mentioning extraneous details like what would normally be described when visiting the mayor since there aren't many buildings in town with a room that can hold a whole party of hatchlings. Don't worry about getting them to the mayor when obviously the jeweler or blacksmith is the real power here going by their hoard size... Sure those people might be in the room advising their alpha, but it would be extremely rude to ignore the prey-leader in order to acknowledge hearing or talk directly to such a lowly servant :D

It's an extreme example, but the more culturally twisted that the mundane goes through in description really changes how the players interact with it... Take humans and some primates... Nearly every species in earth bears their teeth as a sign of threat/aggression...:devilish: Except the ones that do it to signal things like joy humor and friendship.:devilish:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To me, parties composed of mixed species seem to be the norm in D&D, as each player wants to role-play as their favorite species. But are there any examples out there where a group decided to role-play as members of the same species? ;) If any of you have played in such a group, what was it like? I am going to make this a + thread FYE.
I've been in many such groups since I started playing 1e. Several all human groups. Some all elf and all dwarf groups. One all halfling group. And one all gnome group.

the Jester

Legend
Almost. I ran a halfling game a while back, but we had a few non-halflings. There was a kobold who was the clan dog and a human who was adopted into the clan as a child as an honorary halfling. It was an awesome group; if you go to the Story Hour forum you can look up Of Sound Mind the Halfling Way and check it out.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It's cool. (y) Before 4e, Dragon Magazine had two articles where you could play a Dragon PC as though they were a class. One article covered the Chromatic Dragons, the other covered the Metallic Dragons. Each Chromatic and Metallic Dragon had their own class, and each class was designed to cover the first four age categories (Wyrmling to Very Young, I believe).

I like how your party role-played things from a draconic point of view. :)
The 2e Council of Wyrms setting allows players to play dragons.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I've run an all-halfling campaign and would love to run an all-dwarf, all-kobold or all-goblin campaign.

The all-halfling campaign was fun because it doubled-down on themes that normally get pushed to the background of D&D. I would definitely do it again.

LesserThan

Explorer
To me, parties composed of mixed species seem to be the norm in D&D, as each player wants to role-play as their favorite species. But are there any examples out there where a group decided to role-play as members of the same species? ;) If any of you have played in such a group, what was it like? I am going to make this a + thread FYE.
It is the norm now, but was not always. D&D began as all humans, I guess that it what you mean by species. It worked well enough that D&D is still around in some form after 50 years.

Also, there were no races in the game for the best part of it. Things like dwarf were classes.

Worked just fine for us as all human, or all dwarf class.

I played in short-lived play by post Orc and Goblin campaigns, played Spelljammer Academy in an all Aswtra Elf party and I've run one-shots for all Halfing and all-Dwarf parties. They're one of my favorite ways to connect the party.

Remove ads