D&D 5E Has anyone tried or theorycrafted a Joe / Jane average party?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
A better array for Joe is 8,9,10,11,12,13.
Yeah, that is probably better. With the +2 and +1 you could start with two 14's at least and work so the two -1 modifiers shouldn't hurt too much in most cases. :)

This is also better since it gives you an average of 10.5 --same as 3d6 anyway.

Yeah, that is probably better. With the +2 and +1 you could start with two 14's at least and work so the two -1 modifiers shouldn't hurt too much in most cases. :)

This is also better since it gives you an average of 10.5 --same as 3d6 anyway.
Such array 8,9,10,11,12,13 represent the wished bad roll for the usual 4d6 method,
lower result won’t be fun.
Someone wishing the thrill of rolling should not be afraid to play with such array and it can be propose as a security array in case of extreme bad roll.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Lots of tens won't be fun because everyone is mediocre at everything & good at nothing. It would just be completely random.

I've occasionally done arrays like 17/16/16/10/4/3 so players have pcs great at some stuff & awful enough at other stuff that they need to coordinate on strengths /weakness resulting in fun back & forth spotlight sharing

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
One could make a perfectly viable Moon Druid starting with a character with straight 10s. I'd love to play that, actually.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Why?
So the fighter is just as wise as the cleric? The wizard just as strong as the barbarian? No variation in stats between the characters? Sure, this might prove a roleplaying challenge for a bit, but why? I just don't see it as being a beneficial over any other stat creation method.
Because at 1st level they have just reach the beginning of their careers. Their stats and abilities improve as they level up. It is flavorful in its own way. It also makes more sense why certain races would gravitate towards certain classes, though that seems counter to prevailing trend regarding races in D&D--not that trends have to have any influence on how you and your group wants to play.

MNblockhead

Lots of tens won't be fun because everyone is mediocre at everything & good at nothing. It would just be completely random.
At lower levels, though even then, racial bumps, backgrounds, feats (if you allow them), and class features will differentiate the characters.
I've occasionally done arrays like 17/16/16/10/4/3 so players have pcs great at some stuff & awful enough at other stuff that they need to coordinate on strengths /weakness resulting in fun back & forth spotlight sharing

MNblockhead

I think this could be fun. I would consider allowing the players to create custom backgrounds (using the "Customizing Backgrounds" rules in the PHB) and choose one feat (regardless of race).

You also need players who are more careful and tactical in the play because challenge ratings are not going to be as accurate and encounters are going to be more deadly at lower levels. I don't really customize my encounters to make them merely challenging, however. Players in my current campaign can easily run into encounters that they are unlikely to survive if they insist on engaging in unprepared combat. So, my current group wouldn't get too hung up on this "issue."

I think something else to consider with 10 in all stats - any spellcasters, that's going to affect a bunch of things, like spell saves.

At first level, your save DC is only a 10. (8 + stat mod + prof bonus)

Remove ads