[?]Has anyone used the skill Perform-Magician?

Tome

Explorer
I was just wondering if anyone has used a slight of hand huxter-type of character in their game. I assume that magic tricks would be based off of the perform skill, but I could be wrong. Has this worked in a campaign or does it fizzle?

Thanks,

Tome

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
I don't see a problem with it.

To get best use out of it, you want a high Charisma, some ranks in Pick Pockets, and preferably access to the Prestidigitation cantrip.

If they're using the skill to entertain, use the Perform ranks. Possibly with a synergy bonus from Pick Pockets and a circumstance bonus from Prestidigitation.

If they're using the skill to deceive - to cheat at cards or dice, maybe - it should probably use the Pick Pockets ranks... possibly with a synergy bonus from Perform.

What problems did you foresee with the idea?

-Hyp.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
That's how I've been doing the perform skill. Perform" Sleight of hand with Pick pockets works well to dazzle the crowd with a few card tricks. I've use Perform: Acrobatics to help with Tumble and vice versa and Perform: Whip, to make the attacks look that much better. If you don't do it with style, why do it?

Tome

Explorer
It seems to me that one could cobble together a good magician from the options available to the bard and rogue.

Pick Pockets = sleight of hand
Bluff
Perform
Escape Artist = Harry Houdini
Alchemist = smoke & Flash Powder

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Yes, they could. I'd be tempted to create a new core class for them, though. I wouldn't want them to have any real magic or any of the sneak attacks nad other rogue abilities. As a vocabulary note I'd call them Stage Magicians, as Magicians havea completely different meaning in the worlds of fantasy and Magic.

Crothian

First Post
The strength of the illusion would depend on the spell. I guess the roll could be used for greater control of the details of the illusion, but I think a more generalized Perform: Story telling would work in this case. Otherwise you are making the illusion more effective becaus e of your perform skill and magic in D&D doesn't work that way.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Otherwise you are making the illusion more effective because of your perform skill and magic in D&D doesn't work that way.

There's precedent for it, though - something like a Fabricate spell works better if you have a good Craft skill.

-Hyp.

Ywain

First Post
Crothian said:
Yes, they could. I'd be tempted to create a new core class for them, though. I wouldn't want them to have any real magic or any of the sneak attacks nad other rogue abilities. As a vocabulary note I'd call them Stage Magicians, as Magicians havea completely different meaning in the worlds of fantasy and Magic.

Nah, they're just Experts. Pick your 10 class skills and hit the Catskill's circuit.

Prestidigitator is the word that you're looking for: almost literally, "Someone who makes things appear with his fingers" . IRL, this is the word that is used to distinguish slight of hand artists from those who actual wield "real" magic. "Real" magic being Theoturgy (religious magic) or Thaumaturgy (secular magic). That is, for those who are into that sort of thing... and anthropologists, who seem to be into everything. ;)

Remove ads