D&D 5E Has D&D spoiled you on other RPGs?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I've been looking into other d20 systems, reminiscing about my days playing earlier editions of D&D, also Shadowrun and Vampire, and looking in other RPG systems in general (The One Ring, SotDL, and others).

I've spent years at this point modding 5E D&D to create the game I want, only to backtrack again and again for the sake of simplicity, commonality of play to the current establishment, and such.

At this point, I enjoy playing 5E, and thinking about "the good ol' days" of AD&D, but whenever I look at other games, I just don't have any interest in them like I used to. For me, it has (almost) reached the point of D&D or nothing. Soon, my group will be playing d20 Star Wars since they are interested, and I'll run it so they can try it, but otherwise it will be back to D&D in some "5E-fashion".

Well, in thinking it all over, I thought I'd share and ask if anyone else has run into a similar phenomenon?

Although tagged for 5E since that is what I currently play, feel free if you a prior edition spoiled you on other RPGs. :)

Yes, if I must answer.
I tried Pathfinder (1e) for a few sessions several years ago but quickly discovered I don't have bandwidth for any other RPGs.
I'm not sure that 5e "spoiled" me on other systems, necessarily; it's just what I choose to concentrate on with my limited leisure time.

jgsugden

Legend
I use D&D for fantasy. Full stop. If I am running fantasy, it is D&D.

If I am running a setting set in the 1800s, 1900s, or 2000s, I run GURPs. I feel the system gives me a better feel, even when there is magic involved. It just interacts better with 'realistic technologies'. I've also had some success running a homebrew system for a Cthulhu/Western game that was based upon a 4E system, but each character (pregens) had mechanics that the player had to figure out as they played.

For Future tech (Gamma World, Traveler), I use a D&D based system. Once technology gets that advanced, it is more like fantasy than a modern setting.

For a Superhero system, I run Champions (an older edition - might be first). I rarely do it, and Champions worked well enough. Learning a new system is too much work for something I run so rarely. I think any system used for Superheroes is going to be difficult. The power levels can get way out of hand, and the ways that powers can be used are too difficult to model in a game system effectively. I usually do pregens for Superhero games as it allows me to craft the rules around the Superpowers a bit more carefully before we play.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Haha, no.

HERO is still my favorite game of all time, Shadowrun is awesome and amazing, FATE is lots of fun. Pathfinder 1 is still good for quick and dirty. BESM has a new edition. I can't wait to do Blades in the Dark. World of Darkness... also exists.

And that's not even counting the little boutique games out there.

It's like asking if pizza spoiled me for other food. Pizza is fine. I'm not okay with the easiest to find pizza is Papa Johns, but it's passable, but it's not like I'm going to stop having Chinese or chicken or Greek.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I use D&D for fantasy. Full stop. If I am running fantasy, it is D&D.
True, but for me, I've lost interest in other genres entirely. I used to enjoy Shadowrun a lot, and Vampire on occasion as a break from D&D, but now I really don't care for either.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I've been looking into other d20 systems, reminiscing about my days playing earlier editions of D&D, also Shadowrun and Vampire, and looking in other RPG systems in general (The One Ring, SotDL, and others).

I've spent years at this point modding 5E D&D to create the game I want, only to backtrack again and again for the sake of simplicity, commonality of play to the current establishment, and such.

At this point, I enjoy playing 5E, and thinking about "the good ol' days" of AD&D, but whenever I look at other games, I just don't have any interest in them like I used to. For me, it has (almost) reached the point of D&D or nothing. Soon, my group will be playing d20 Star Wars since they are interested, and I'll run it so they can try it, but otherwise it will be back to D&D in some "5E-fashion".

Well, in thinking it all over, I thought I'd share and ask if anyone else has run into a similar phenomenon?

Although tagged for 5E since that is what I currently play, feel free if you a prior edition spoiled you on other RPGs. :)
It's not that D&D has necessarily spoiled me on other RPGs, but rather that I only have time to play one RPG and D&D is it. In my younger years, before I had family considerations, I played other RPGs on occasion and would have played them more often if I knew folks who ran them.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
It's not that D&D has necessarily spoiled me on other RPGs, but rather that I only have time to play one RPG and D&D is it. In my younger years, before I had family considerations, I played other RPGs on occasion and would have played them more often if I knew folks who ran them.
Frankly, I wish I could say that was an issue for me, but sadly it isn't.

I work and help take care of my parents, but I get to play about 5-7 times a month within 2 different groups.

So, it really isn't a time issue for me, just a lack of interest.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Frankly, I wish I could say that was an issue for me, but sadly it isn't.

I work and help take care of my parents, but I get to play about 5-7 times a month within 2 different groups.

So, it really isn't a time issue for me, just a lack of interest.
Back in the day we played Traveler, Star Frontiers, Top Secret, Car Wars, Boot Hill, FASERIP Marvel Superheroes, and when it came out Vampire/World of Darkness. Hell, I was in a large(30-40 consistent people) Vampire LARP for a number of years. D&D was the primary, but about 20% of playtime was in those other systems.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well consider I started playing D&D first, and most gaming sessions held in my life in any game system historically was D&D. And the tale I tell, when recounting how I got into being a professional freelance cartographer in 2007, almost immediately leads me to wanting to publish my Kaidan setting of Japanese Horror, and D&D 3.5 suddenly having it's books removed from the game stores coming to it's end. I then turned to Pathfinder as the currently available system to play at the time, and published Kaidan under PF. I was publishing Kaidan for the life of PF 1.0. A year before the release of Starfinder, I was approached about publishing an adventure for a space game, and since Starfinder was coming, I decided why not publish that as Starfinder, so I did, and some dozen publications later, I'm still publishing Starfinder. At this point, with the release of D&D Spelljammer being eminent, I have the inklings to create a collection of custom Spelljammer ships. However, while I do plan to create that, I still don't plan on returning to D&D.

So the best answer is probably Paizo's Pathfinder and Starfinder has spoiled my other games, including D&D.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases