Has the cold weather been interfering with your gaming?

delericho

Legend
Has the cold weather been interfering with your gaming?

No. We've just had rain. Lots and lots of rain.

But, really, that's just Scotland in January. (England have it much worse, alas, but we're basically fine.)

Are treacherous roads a good enough reason to call off a game group meeting?

Of course! Whenever you travel, there's always some risk involved. Usually, that risk is tiny compared to the reward. But if the weather is bad, the risk is higher, and if the weather is really bad then the risk becomes quite extreme. So, there comes a point where the risk of making the journey (and the journey back) is so great that the reward just ain't worth it.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Not yet (IIRC). It is still quite cold and snow persists (at least in Hannover), but I am quite sure that the next session on sunday will take place.
If a player cannot make it to a session for wheather or other reasons, we communicate via Skype. Works so far.

edemaitre

Explorer
So far this winter, we've had to postpone only one or two of our weekly face-to-face sessions because of the weather in the U.S. Northeast. That's about normal here.

Since my gamers live in Boston's suburbs, we're more concerned about finding parking at different people's houses or apartments, or about traffic or driving home on ice late at night than about the snow or cold.

Of course, my telecom game over Skype has been unaffected by the weather. Since each of my groups has about eight role-players, we can still meet via when half of them can't attend.

I am in Boston, so the cold itself hasn't really changed anything for us, but we have hadtwo cancel two games due to snow (would hav happened whether it was 22 or -6 degrees). In the past we didn't cancel for snow. These days, i don't think it is worth the added risk just to have a session. Pretty used to driving in the snow, however i have also seen enough bad accidents when New Englanders get cocky that i don't want folks to drive to my place when the snow is still on the roads.

Ahnehnois

First Post
My group is now spread across two states and one district. Travel is a big concern. We did miss one because the roads were bad and the people traveling the farthest did not want to wait for the weather to get bad, for which I can hardly blame them.

Piston Honda

First Post
We’ve only missed one game due to the weather, most of us can handle snow, but we had some really nasty ice one weekend, and with the lateness with which we usually get out and having a couple younger players we called that one. Really, we’ve been lucky to generally have just a little snow on game nights and nobody has to travel more than fifteen minutes.

Ratskinner

Adventurer
We just missed our first one last night. Mostly because some of us have kids who are antsy from not being in school or outside much....and leaving the wives home to deal with that seemed...ungentlemanly....and unhealthy.

Which kinda stinks for me, because I'm the househusband that homeschools the kids!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Like the others in Massachusetts, the cold, in and of itself, hasn't been a problem. We can game when it is bitter cold outside.

A couple of snowstorms have come at inopportune times and cost us a couple of sessions this winter, though. I don't want my players to risk accidents in ice and snow for my game. And parking on the street when plows are coming through is problematic - having to dig their cars out a 11 PM so they can get home is not exactly fun.

Remove ads