Has the wave crested? (Bo9S)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I've seen almost every title at Half Price at one point or another. They often get books from other stores/distributors.

As for Bo9S, I too was unsure about it when I picked it up, but I really, really like the concepts. Not all of them are executed the way I'd do it, but I recommend the book.

wakedown said:
Hasn't the book always been about half price at Amazon (~$18 when list is almost $30)? This isn't really any different than the PHB (~$19 when list is almost $30)...
The price isn't the significant factor. Amazon is a "standard" retailer that can cut prices to the bone because of economies of scale and total overhead factors. But the books are still obtained through regular retail distribution. New books that appear in Half-Price Books are usually there because someone is unloading them into the "discount" distribution channels. The most common reason to do that is an oversupply of the book, which usually means not enough buyers.

Khairn

First Post
The Bo9S is slowly becoming a favorite. I haven't let it be used as a core class yet, but about 2 months ago I started working on a small campaign / mini AP, with that book at its core. I love the fluff.

There are a couple of things that I'm less content with such as ... it continues the traditional power-creep that each book brings, and it clearly (at least to my eyes) has a strong MMORPG flavor to it. But aside from those 2 points I like the book.

GreatLemur

Explorer
Nyarlathotep said:
There are a few manuevers that I dislike and I wish there were more manuevers and stances available...
Yeah, I concur. I dig the book quite a lot, but man, is it ever a slim volume. If they'd given it half again as many pages, and all that full of manuevers and stances, I'd have been happy to pay for the extra material.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
You can add me as another fan of TOB: Bot9s. I've got both a warblade and a swordsage in my campaign now and love them both.

Psion

Adventurer
Sejs said:
I'm in a similar boat to PC.

I was very trepidatious at first, thought it was going to be a really bad example of power inflation, etc.

I still think it's a really bad example of power inflation.

Wolfspider

Explorer
Wait a minute....

What is that hurtling down towards me?

Could that be the sky falling?

Ack! Must have been hit by a good chunk of anecdotal evidence....

jrients

First Post
Psion said:

I think it's a totally awesome example of power inflation. Bo9S is exactly the kind of crazy crap I want in my campaign. But I can see why some folks would think it's too much.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Psion said:

Funny, to me this book really seems like good power inflation (though it's nowhere near as much inflation as some people attest). It lets mid-high level warrior characters be something other than magic-item dependent single schtick hitters and/or meat shields for the casters.

Remove ads