• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Has there been a Charm Spell in 4e?

I was looking through some Eberron characters from my group's old 3.5 game. As an exercise I was seeing how well they ported to 4e.

One thing I ran into was as I was porting the ranger I was trying to figure out if there was a way to port his use of charm animal. That got me thinking I can't think of any 4e book that has a spell or ritual similar to charm person/monster/animal. Is that the case or am I forgetting something?

Craith

First Post
for your Ranger there is also the Animal Friendship ritual, allowing him to gain the aid of an animal, which can perform tricks on his behalf.

The bard class has lots of charm and dominate powers, Fast Friends is close to the old Charm spell.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The bard as an encounter spell called fast friends which temporarily confuses and enemy into thinking he is a friend of him or his ally so they cannot attack that target for a round. its only a level one so presumedly it could be boosted by making that effect a higher level effect and making it save ends.

It would be fun to um skin an attack you control so that it "comes" from an enemy adjacent to your target it might have a disadvantage of removing your allies mark... or similar effect... it might leave the "controlled" character dazed. It wouldn't have to be a strong attack to be interesting.
shrug thats just an idea, with I guess not enough basis.

Oh yeah the Warlock forgot crown of madness level 5 and its sustain minor !!

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Non combat charm type effects tend to Diplomacy/Bluff bonuses, rerolls, or other skill challenge affecting powers (your skills counts as an additional success, or whatever).

ppaladin123

Adventurer
In Arcane Power there is a bard ritual that charms the listener into being your friend and spending up to 500 gp on your behalf. There is also another ritual that lets you convince a crowd of listeners to rally together and do something at some risk to themselves (more risk with a higher arcana check).

The warlock has several charm spells that make enemies attack their allies, or defend the warlock from enemy attacks. They also have a dominate spell. One warlock utility lets you force a helpless enemy (a prisoner after a battle) to answer all your questions truthfully.

Wizards (especially illusionists) have the ability to dominate enemies and control their actions directly.

Ryujin

Legend
In Arcane Power there is a bard ritual that charms the listener into being your friend and spending up to 500 gp on your behalf. There is also another ritual that lets you convince a crowd of listeners to rally together and do something at some risk to themselves (more risk with a higher arcana check).

The warlock has several charm spells that make enemies attack their allies, or defend the warlock from enemy attacks. They also have a dominate spell. One warlock utility lets you force a helpless enemy (a prisoner after a battle) to answer all your questions truthfully.

Wizards (especially illusionists) have the ability to dominate enemies and control their actions directly.

Call of Friendship - The target becomes your friend and will put himself out for you, for a time of between 1 hour and one day.

Anthem of Unity - You convince a group of people (no limit on size except that they must have been able to witness the entire ritual and be lower level than you) to perform a task that takes from one hour to one day, depending upon your roll.

The dominate powers typically last until the end of your next turn.

The thing that bothers me about the rituals, is that they've now created rituals that can only be cast by a specific class (Bard). All of the other ones are open to anyone who can acquire the ritual and provide the components. Bards get those, plus their own. That seems to make long duration charm effects their exclusive bailiwick.

Stalker0

Legend
One other interesting note, is now that there are save ends dominate powers...you can probably theoretically use all the wizard save cheese to cast a dominate effect that is permanent (until the creature gets a save bonus from something).

Haven't tried it myself so I don't know all the tricks, but it just might be possible.

Shroomy

Adventurer
One other interesting note, is now that there are save ends dominate powers...you can probably theoretically use all the wizard save cheese to cast a dominate effect that is permanent (until the creature gets a save bonus from something).

Haven't tried it myself so I don't know all the tricks, but it just might be possible.

Only if you don't rest. You can't rest if you're sustaining a power (PHB 278).

Remove ads