Has there been any sort of Bronze age setting made?

Evenglare

Adventurer
I think it would be cool to play in a setting around the bronze age or earlier. There would be tribes , barbarians as well as a few bastions of civilization. What got me thinking about this was that I was watching 300. But I like other movies like 10,000 bc (I know a lot of people hated it). Anyway, I think it could be real cool to set it in a real world setting every culture has a real distinct feeling, and I was wondering if anything like this had been put out and if so could you point me towards it?

Ahzad

Explorer
Check out the AD&D Historical reference series there is probably something in those, but I don't remember for sure.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Thanks , ill check it out. I should have also mentioned i'm primarily looking for an OGL sourcebook, but a setting neutral book (or textbook or something) would be just as good I think.

TheGrandNuge

Explorer
Green Ronin did a series of books called their Mythic Vistas series, at least a couple of which might interest you. One was The Trojan War and another was Testament, set in bibilical times.

Razjah

Explorer
Iron Heroes works pretty well for Bronze Age. The assumptions are little to no civilization, little to no travel, and limited communication from are to area; no magic is another assumption but adding caster classes cane easily fix this. It works pretty well to create city states like in Ancient Greece.

Yora

Legend
There isn't a lot and if there is, I never was able to find it.

The best match is probably Conan d20. There are some parts in the setting that aren't bronze or iron age, but most of the world fits quite well.

Midnight is more of a post apocalyptic medieval fantasy world, but I think it does actually play quite bronze age like.

There is Dawnforge, which is supposed to be a setting where everything is just starting, but it doesn't work with a evolutionary world but rather has all the races appear in the world as more or less finished civilizations. It's the good old days rather thanthe humble beginnings.

And then there is of course Dark Sun.

Do you want Bronze Age Historic RPG or Bronze Age Fantasy RPG?

Razjah said:
Iron Heroes works pretty well for Bronze Age. The assumptions are little to no civilization, little to no travel, and limited communication from are to area; no magic is another assumption but adding caster classes cane easily fix this. It works pretty well to create city states like in Ancient Greece.
That's not really an accurate picture of much of the Bronze Age, though. It wasn't a primitive backwater; it was a period of high culture, lots of intercultural exchange and diplomacy, and regional superpowers. Greece didn't have city states exactly; it had the palace economy centered on Mycenae. The interacted diplomatically with the Egyptians, the Hittites, the city-states of the Levant, and were familiar with the Assyrians. The city-states were part of the Iron Age era of Greece, which was also a prolonged Dark Age compared to the "heroic" Bronze Age society.

Yora

Legend
Humans are always amazingly sophisticated. Even in the most basic societies you have have long-distance international trade, cultural exchange, economic centers and specialized experts in craft and lore. Even in the stone age you have sites where rare resources were extracted on scales that could be called "industrial" in relation to the human opulation of the time.

Remove ads