D&D General Hasbro activist begins proxy fight, urges Dungeons & Dragons spinoff

ECMO3

Hero
What made D&D explosively popular was a combo of Basic and AD&D. Forget the clunky rules engine, It was the excitement, the danger (yes PCs died! often), the unknown, the interaction. Hasbro could mothball the I.P. but NOT the game. Gygax's 3rd edition of D&D, as he called it, would live on. Many other fine examples would too.
The game is FAR, FAR more "explosively popular" today than at any time before.

I get that some people prefer the old game more, but those people are a minority. I played it throughout the 80s and loved it. However today's game is much better. That is my opinion and it is also the opinion of most players.

G

Guest 7034872

The game is FAR, FAR more "explosively popular" today than at any time before.

I get that some people prefer the old game more, but those people are a minority. I played it throughout the 80s and loved it. However today's game is much better. That is my opinion and it is also the opinion of most players.
Boy, you said it! Twenty-five or thirty years ago, if anyone had told me D&D was going to be mainstream, lucrative, and widely loved, I would've accused them of wishful thinking.

I mean, this is something I never would have predicted.

Staffan

Legend
Dancey is a slightly problematic source, as he hadn't worked at Wizards for about a decade at that point, and was in leadership at Paizo to boot. Not to say that he was lying, but there's a lot of room for a game of telephone at play there.

I'm not saying Dancey is a liar, but . . . . perhaps it's just word choice, but that certainly sounds like what you are implying.
"A lot of room for a game of telephone" doesn't imply lying. It implies that there are several steps between the primary source of the information and the person you are talking to, and at each step there's a chance of information getting distorted, misremembered, abbreviated, or otherwise altered. In this case, there's also time to account for, as Dancey's post was made in early 2012 and concerned things going back to 2005.

That said, Dancey's statement is a mix of things that seem like the stuff that would be easily available to someone with an interest in that sort of corporate stuff, and he likely still had connections to Wizards at the time, so I would tend to believe him unless I see some evidence otherwise.

éxypnos

Explorer
Anti-inclusive content
I get that some people prefer the old game more, but those people are a minority. I
Absolutely. Young people today are melted snowflakes that have turned to water vapor compared to when I was young. Today I rarely run into any male <50 that is an actual man. Sad but happens to every large civilization before the fall.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"A lot of room for a game of telephone" doesn't imply lying. It implies that there are several steps between the primary source of the information and the person you are talking to, and at each step there's a chance of information getting distorted, misremembered, abbreviated, or otherwise altered. In this case, there's also time to account for, as Dancey's post was made in early 2012 and concerned things going back to 2005.

That said, Dancey's statement is a mix of things that seem like the stuff that would be easily available to someone with an interest in that sort of corporate stuff, and he likely still had connections to Wizards at the time, so I would tend to believe him unless I see some evidence otherwise.
I think it is probably not far off in broad strokes, but filtered through a lot of potential noise distortion. I wouldn't go around citing thr particular numbers or corporate strategy. Hasbto at the time wanted more from the game, WotC tried and failed. That gist seems right. And anyone around during 4E could see as much, but other than that the specifics are rumor and way after the fact hearsay from another company. I'm sure Dancey has better, more local sources...but at a remove from the strict facts still.

Absolutely. Young people today are melted snowflakes that have turned to water vapor compared to when I was young. Today I rarely run into any male <50 that is an actual man. Sad but happens to every large civilization before the fall.
yes, clearly the first edition of the playing pretend dragon game was the one for the real manly men. Ever since 3e was released, the collapse of society was inevitable. sad.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

You might want to refresh yourself on ENWorld’s Terms of Service. Because this is the kind of posting that will get you bounced with alacrity.

éxypnos

Explorer
Mod Note:

You might want to refresh yourself on ENWorld’s Terms of Service. Because this is the kind of posting that will get you bounced with alacrity.
Yes, I will. I'm by nature a free human and horribly politically incorrect. I will mod my behavior here to conform with the stringent rules.

Remove ads