D&D General Hasbro activist begins proxy fight, urges Dungeons & Dragons spinoff

If WotC was spinned off, would Hasbro keep or lose the controll? It doesn't sound like a good idea. It would be as saying Warner should be sell DC, and Disney Marvel+Star Wars, and both spin-off to be adquired by Hasbro. Wouldn't be ridiculous? Maybe WotC could need more independence, but within the company.

And a part of me suspects this may be not only about money, but other reasons could be possible, because all the franchises from the entertaiment industry can be used to cause intentionally a cultural influence over others.

Other reason to say no to the spin off is Hasbro doesn't want to put all the eggs in only one basket. They have been selling toys, but someday the bad years will arrive. They need other options, and these are the media, the videogames, and the tabletop games for teenages and young adults. The plans for WotC aren't only to publish Magic and D&D but to focuse into the digital market. If Hasbro plays rightly its cards, they could become a new Disney empire.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Interesting, they very much are not just that, I see, looking them up. The shows they're doing make me slightly more hopefully about potential D&D TV shows, at least in terms of the minimum quality level they're likely to accept.
I have my expectations set firmly to "might occasionally produce something interesting," but the potential for some decent programming is real.

The plans for WotC aren't only to publish Magic and D&D but to focuse into the digital market. If Hasbro plays rightly its cards, they could become a new Disney empire.
Not a chance. Disney is literally an empire, while Hasbro is just a successful company.

Splitting off WotC could benefit the stockholders, which is a reason to run the numbers on it.

Hasbro buying Games Workshop? Possible, but we don't know if it may be probable. Not yet.

Do you really think Hasbro failed promoting their own brands? My opinion is Alta Fox is wrong, and Hasbro should continue developing their own IPs. I wouldn't be too surprise if Hasbro adquires more brands, even some little 3PPs with economic problems, but with some good ideas.

WotC within Hasbro is stronger to negotiate partnership deals with other megacorporations about possible adaptations, for example intercompany crossovers with Magic: the Gathering, or adaptations of famous videogames. WotC made a lot of money with Star Wars RPG. I guess more than Fantasy Flight Games with that new system. (I could buy as gift for my niece Star Wars d20, even if she doesn't understand the rules of the game system, but the last game by FFG... I don't feel confortable, I don't get used).

Why after to plant fruit trees and await are you going to sell them when they have started to produce fruits?

Sorry, maybe my level of English languange is not enough good but... doesn't this sound like actions of "corporate raiders" or "baron robbers"? What if the goal of this isn't the independence of WotC, at all, but a change to be controlled by new owners?

2022 will be a year with a lot of troubles in the entertaiment industry. I have speculated about possible mergers and adquisitions, but I couldn't imagine a possible demerger.

It's not that Hasbro didn't promote their Brands at WotC, it's that it had a parasitic relationship with WotC, where they drew profits out, but didn't reinvest properly, so the brands as well they are doing, aren't doing as well and they should be. For example Arena not having multi-player when Commander is by far the most popular format is a serious missed opportunity, and not having a novel line anymore, when Games Workshop proves it cam be done profitably, etc..., are missed opportunities. Instead they made bad investments like Dark Alliance, one of the few investments they made, instead of actually investing in profitable endevours.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It's not that Hasbro didn't promote their Brands at WotC, it's that it had a parasitic relationship with WotC, where they drew profits out, but didn't reinvest properly, so the brands as well they are doing, aren't doing as well and they should be. For example Arena not having multi-player when Commander is by far the most popular format is a serious missed opportunity, and not having a novel line anymore, when Games Workshop proves it cam be done profitably, etc..., are missed opportunities. Instead they made bad investments like Dark Alliance, one of the few investments they made, instead of actually investing in profitable endevours.
Do you have reason to believe that Dark Alliance is less profitable than pulp novels in the 20's...?

Remove ads