D&D General Hasbro activist begins proxy fight, urges Dungeons & Dragons spinoff

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Eventually. Working to maximize short-term benefit for shareholders tends to sacrifice long-term returns from the company.
It certainly can. But AF's suggested strategy involves reinvesting in WotC's products so it can grow, rather than using it as a cash cow to support Hasbro.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It certainly can. But AF's suggested strategy involves reinvesting in WotC's products so it can grow, rather than using it as a cash cow to support Hasbro.

So, I think that's not actually an accurate statement.

AF's strategy claims it is about reinvesting in WotC's products so it can grow more quickly than it is currently growing.

I didn't see a claim that WotC is a "cash cow supporting Hasbro". This seems to me a false narrative, a bit of spin, as if the company has two divisions, and if one is doing better than another, one is necessarily "supported by" the other.

My wife and I both have jobs. My wife makes more than I do. That doesn't mean I am a kept man supported by my wife.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Good for Hasbro, standing up to this.

"Jon Finkel has absolutely no experience in leadership roles at corporate companies. He is first and foremost a gamer and fan and does not have experience in driving growth and strategic value at digital gaming companies, smartly allocating capital or delivering returns for shareholders. We welcome his passion for our products, but passion for a couple of product lines does not qualify him to sit on our Board."

Good for Hasbro, standing up to this.

"Jon Finkel has absolutely no experience in leadership roles at corporate companies. He is first and foremost a gamer and fan and does not have experience in driving growth and strategic value at digital gaming companies, smartly allocating capital or delivering returns for shareholders. We welcome his passion for our products, but passion for a couple of product lines does not qualify him to sit on our Board."
Alta Fox has stopped supporting Finkel for the board. They pared down their request to three people, and Finkel is not one of them.

By far, he was the least qualified for a Board seat in their proposed slate.

Maybe I have read too many "spies novels" but sometimes this sounds as if anybody doesn't like Hasbro had got to an old franchise now is becoming too valious and important, and then they wanted it was changed to other hands.

WotC within Hasbro has got better contacts for partnerships and licencing deals. It is not only my theory, some articles tell Hasbro wants D&D to be a "metaverse" where add elements from internal and external brands. Not only Magic: Beyond Universe but also D&D: Beyond Universe. Do you remember all the crossovers and colabs in Fornite? Then Hasbro wants D&D to be as Fortnite, the king of the crossovers.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases