WotC Hasbro Bets Big on D&D

During today's 'Hasbro Fireside Chat', Hasbro's Chris Cocks, chief executive officer, and Cynthia Williams, president of Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming mentioned D&D, and about betting big on its name. This was in addition to the Magic: The Gathering discussion they held on the same call.

Hasbro.jpg

The following are rough notes on what they said.

D&D Beyond
  • Leaning heavily on D&D Beyond
  • 13 million registered users
  • Give them more ways to express their fandom
  • Hired 350 people last year
  • Low attrition
What’s next for D&D
  • Never been more popular
  • Brand under-monetized
  • Excited about D&D Beyond possibilities
  • Empower accessibility and development of the user base.
  • Data driven insight
  • Window into how players are playing
  • Companion app on their phone
  • Start future monetization starting with D&D Beyond
  • DMs are 20% of the audience but lions share of purchases
  • Digital game recurrent spending for post sale revenue.
  • Speed of digital can expand, yearly book model to include current digital style models.
  • Reach highly engaged multigenerational fans.
  • Dungeons and Dragons has recognition, 10 out of 10
  • Cultural phenomenon right now.
  • DND strategy is a broad four quadrant strategy
  • Like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings or Marvel
  • New books and accessories, licensed game stuff, and D&D Beyond
  • Huge hopes for D&D
What is success for the D&D Movie
  • First big light up oppourtunity for 4th quadrant
  • Significant marketing
  • They think it’ll have significant box office
  • It has second most viewed trailer at Paramount, only eclipsed by Transformers
  • Will be licensed video games, some on movies
  • Then follow up other media, TV, other movies, etc.
  • Bullish on D&D.

Last edited by a moderator:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Personally, I hope that they don't make it system neutral. I want a VTT fully customized for DnD that finally makes the more cumbersome elements of the came, such as applying area of effect damage, tracking conditions, etc. automated and simple. I'll always have Foundry for other games. The only think that would get me to buy into the WotC VTT, no matter how impressive the special effects, is if it makes my job as a DM easy. The only way to make it as easy as I want to it to be laser focused on the DnD system.
Shouldn't be hard, I mean, PF2 is a bit more complicated and its absolutely nailed on Foundry.

pogre

Legend
I run D&D weekly on a tabletop. It's my preference because I love miniatures, terrain, and getting energy back from a live game. I can handle a big group at the table.

I run other RPGs (currently DCC) remotely. I use it because I love connecting with my brother on the other side of the country, friends who are a distance away, and my sons who are away at school.

Both methods are better fits for me in different situations. While I prefer in-person, I would never suggest remote play on a VTT is inferior or less rewarding for people who prefer to play that way.

I love spending money on my hobbies. If I was totally into VTT gaming I think I would welcome the opportunity to upgrade my experience. I think I would be excited by this investment from Hasbro.

I am a cheapskate when it comes to online gaming - only use free stuff. While I spend outrageous money on stupid accessories for my in-person tabletop game. Just different priorities...

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
In terms of the entire RPG community? Sure. In terms of the D&D community? I'm less convinced. I mean, there'll certainly be people who don't go in for a more-expensive, more-bells-and-whistles VTT, or who don't go for a VTT at all, but if things keep trending younger and more plugged-in (the way we keep being told they are), then as far as D&D goes, that has the potential to become what people think of as the standard D&D experience.
I think the standard D&D experience is already so far from where it started. You cant stop progress, although its encouraging to see so many folks playing the older editions and fantasy heartbreakers. I dont think that experience is ever going to settle (or go away). It's more like a pendulum swinging back and forth over a myriad of styles in time.

Scribe

Legend
I'm not quite understanding all of the hostility towards Hasbro wanting to make money from D&D.

See the flavour text here? Simply replace "power" with "profit" and "izzet mages" with "Hazbro executives". People understand the need for profits. There is a point where the methods to gain EVER MORE profits, is exploitive and harms the game/players.

Goblin-Electromancer-DDS-672.jpg

Incenjucar

Legend
VTTs are also just necessary for so many people. Between the plague, the difficulty of finding people to play with, friends moving away, comfortable play space, physical and psychological barriers, cost... VTT lets a lot more people play safely and comfortably than otherwise. In person is great, I love it, and it should always be an option, but virtual is extremely important.

R_J_K75

Legend
  • Speed of digital can expand, yearly book model to include current digital style models.

I certainly hope that I am wrong, but this seems like they are going to push D&DB to the max, with digital subscription-based exclusives, etc. I hope they don't try too hard to get people to use the program if they don't want to. I would hate if this doesn't indicate that we'll see fewer and fewer physical products in the years to come.

- New books and accessories, licensed game stuff, and D&D Beyond
..."Hey, did we mention D&D Beyond"?...

Scribe

Legend

I certainly hope that I am wrong, but this seems like they are going to push D&DB to the max, with digital subscription-based exclusives, etc. I hope they don't try too hard to get people to use the program if they don't want to. I would hate if this doesn't indicate that we'll see fewer and fewer physical products in the years to come.

- New books and accessories, licensed game stuff, and D&D Beyond
..."Hey, did we mention D&D Beyond"?...

Ahem.

Maybe it sounds ridiculous, but videogame studios could start to create VTTs with figures and scenaries based in their own franchises. I guess the VTTs don't need a powerful software to work.

My suggestion fot D&D-One is the miniatures can be used in other videogames. For example if you have got the pack of the halflings from valley of happy pony you can use them as miniatures in the VTT, but also the pack can be used in a D&D survival-farming-life simulation videogame.

* My opinion is there reasons for a opened door for the return of Gamma World. It is perfect to sell action figures of post-apocalyptic mutant road-warriors with animal heads, something like mixing Mad Max and Teenage-Ninja-Mutant-Turtles. A family-friendly version of Mad Max. But I suggest the setting places in a fictional world to avoid potential troubles of the style Donald Biden as boss of the bad guys, for example.

bebop-rocksteady.webp

Didn't these character appear in the videogame of Mutant Year Zero?

Star Frontiers isn't in the path of return if Hasbro hopes to earn more with Star Wars or Star Trek.

* Some almost forgotten Hasbro franchises could be reskinned to be added to the M:tG+D&D multiverse, for example a mash-up (dieselpunk) version of M.A.S.K within the world of Kaladesh.

Oofta

Legend
See the flavour text here? Simply replace "power" with "profit" and "izzet mages" with "Hazbro executives". People understand the need for profits. There is a point where the methods to gain EVER MORE profits, is exploitive and harms the game/players.

Goblin-Electromancer-DDS-672.jpg

So ... companies are bad because they want to make money? Any company that wants to make money will automatically gouge their customers, bilking them for all their worth?

D&D is an incredibly cheap hobby. I'm sure they're working on ways to give people that want to spend more options to do so. But you can still download the completely free rules. The core rulebooks and a DM screen goes for $85 on Amazon.

We're not talking something you have to purchase like food, gas or rent. It's a hobby. Don't want to buy any more books? Stop buying books. Done. You can still game to your heart's content. Want to buy something WOTC also sells that isn't necessary to play the game? Why would they not want to sell it to you if they can make a profit? :confused:

Incenjucar

Legend
D&D is basically free already as long as you're comfortable with the OGL characters or just using the new playtest stuff. They have to make sure to not sully the game with a bad PR move like those random ability packs from Gamma World and 4E, because then people will want to play a different game, but outside of that it's infinite free gaming already.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases