• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks Would Like To Explore Kara-Tur

Hasbro CEO plays in an Eastern Adventures D&D campaign.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.54.35.png

According to Reddit poster bwrusso, who was in a small group investor meeting with Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks last week, Hasbro's CEO (who was previously President of Wizards of the Coast before being promoted to his current position) currently plays in a Kara-Tur campaign and would personally like to see that setting explored further.

Kara-Tur is part of the Forgotten Realms, and is inspired by real-world East and Southeast Asia cultures, including China, Japan, Mongolia, and other regions. It was originally published in the 1985 book Oriental Adventures, and has since appeared in other formats including a boxed set in 1988. Eight adventure modules for the setting were published in the late 80s. In 2015's Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Kara-Tur is briefly described.

Cocks also touched on Spanish-language translations of D&D books in Latin America, and indicated that there were distribution issues with former licensing agreements in that region.

Vincent55

Adventurer
I loved the older books, when I was a kid I believed ninjas and quicksand would be a big issue, but ofcourse they are not, lol. The old books were fun much like the asian kung fu movies at the time and I wanted to be like Bruce Lee, still do a little at over 50.

They didn't exactly produce anything close to medieval or Renaissance Europe to be blunt. They cribbed some ideas and pasted it together. Popped in some film / TV / fantasy book ideas and "boom." Nobody really complains about that. They did stay away from current religion / religious figures. I think that's pretty much what they need to do for an Asian themed setting. That and avoid blatant racist stereotypes. Other than that, I don't see it being any closer to "the real world" than Greyhawk / Forgotten Realms is the real world. All imho, of course.

Farenn

Explorer
Well, if they hired East Asian authors, a solid team of culture consultants and actually heard them it could be a new begining for the setting. But I honestly doubt that. So best left buried.
I was debating whether to respond to your post because I don't want to come across as rude to you. But your post made me laugh. You honestly make it sound like they would have to hire a small army of Asian content creators just to make it possible and even then, they would probably fail. Seriously it is not that hard. Just hire some good Asian authors to work alongside the WotC team and they will be good. It is not rocket science. So, WotC if you happen to read this, do not leave Kara-Tur buried. There are plenty of us that want it to come back.

pawsplay

Hero
What, I wonder, is the acceptable degree of potential offense. One can assume you will never reach 0%, so what are we willing to allow? What level of pushback is just free press? That's probably where the answer lies.

Generally speaking, you just want to avoid any big clangers. Things than make people go, "They printed WHAT?"

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads