• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks Would Like To Explore Kara-Tur

Hasbro CEO plays in an Eastern Adventures D&D campaign.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.54.35.png

According to Reddit poster bwrusso, who was in a small group investor meeting with Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks last week, Hasbro's CEO (who was previously President of Wizards of the Coast before being promoted to his current position) currently plays in a Kara-Tur campaign and would personally like to see that setting explored further.

Kara-Tur is part of the Forgotten Realms, and is inspired by real-world East and Southeast Asia cultures, including China, Japan, Mongolia, and other regions. It was originally published in the 1985 book Oriental Adventures, and has since appeared in other formats including a boxed set in 1988. Eight adventure modules for the setting were published in the late 80s. In 2015's Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Kara-Tur is briefly described.

Cocks also touched on Spanish-language translations of D&D books in Latin America, and indicated that there were distribution issues with former licensing agreements in that region.

Oofta

Legend
My point is that we don't need to make it historical at all. And we absolutely certainly don't need to retread yet another 30+ year old setting.
Whereas my point is that even if the setting is inspired by real world mythology there should be consultants. Because it is far too easy to step on toes.

A lot of current D&D mythology is based on a pastiche of western myths, but we are far enough separated from those for whom those myths were reality that most people don't really know much about them or care. Meanwhile if you look at southeast Asian cultures for inspiration, many beliefs are still considered important and current. So it's a lot easier to offend someone if you even accidentally include something they consider important to their culture.

I would love to see Al-Qadim, and in fact, I believe there's been some well reviewed 3PP stuff in this area.

What I think is key to Kara Tur and Al-Qadim not sucking is actually removing them from Faerun, and making them just their own standalone settings. The idea of shoehorning these settings into a standard fantasy setting creates that kitchen sink setting of real world analogues that has the bad knock-on effect of mirroring stuff like colonialism.

Nothing in Kara Tur or Al Qadim mirrors colonialism, there is not a single Faerun colony in either continient. Maztica brieflingly had a bit of colonialism, but got defeated, like in Ixalan. Most of the actual colonist elements are in Radiant Citadel.

Oofta

Legend
I would love to see Al-Qadim, and in fact, I believe there's been some well reviewed 3PP stuff in this area.

What I think is key to Kara Tur and Al-Qadim not sucking is actually removing them from Faerun, and making them just their own standalone settings. The idea of shoehorning these settings into a standard fantasy setting creates that kitchen sink setting of real world analogues that has the bad knock-on effect of mirroring stuff like colonialism.

We need to be sensitive, but one world-spanning mono-culture also doesn't make a lot of sense.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Whereas my point is that even if the setting is inspired by real world mythology there should be consultants. Because it is far too easy to step on toes.

A lot of current D&D mythology is based on a pastiche of western myths, but we are far enough separated from those for whom those myths were reality that most people don't really know much about them or care. Meanwhile if you look at southeast Asian cultures for inspiration, many beliefs are still considered important and current. So it's a lot easier to offend someone if you even accidentally include something they consider important to their culture.
I understand what you are saying, but how far away from a real world inspiration do you need to be to be "safe"? And look, I admit: I am an atheist and I don't understand or particularly care about why people take one particular kind of fantasy story more personally that others.

But I am still advocating for something new and original that doesn't just put a coat of paint of Ming China or whatever.

I can see 5.5-era WotC making a Fantasy Asia book. There would be a number of prereqs, such as having the project led by designers with Asian heritage. But it could happen. I can even see them calling it Kara-Tur, maybe, and bolting it onto Faerun just like the old Kara-Tur.

What I can’t see is the resulting product bearing more than a passing resemblance to the old Kara-Tur. Which—and I say this as somebody with very fond memories of the old Kara-Tur—is fine by me.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Have EAsian nationals who are game designers write the Kara-Tur setting for EAsian gamers. Sell to the Asian gamer market.

Then translate it into English for Americans, and into other languages.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Have EAsian nationals who are game designers write the Kara-Tur setting for EAsian gamers. Sell to the Asian gamer market.

Then translate it into English for Americans, and into other languages.
It seems like a mistake to actively design a product for one market and then hope it sells in another. I don't know what the Asian D&D market is, but I bet it is much smaller than the Western and especially American market. If they are going to do it, they need to do it for the same market that loves things like Avatar and Blue Eye Samurai.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads