• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks Would Like To Explore Kara-Tur

Hasbro CEO plays in an Eastern Adventures D&D campaign.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.54.35.png

According to Reddit poster bwrusso, who was in a small group investor meeting with Hasbro CEO Chris Cocks last week, Hasbro's CEO (who was previously President of Wizards of the Coast before being promoted to his current position) currently plays in a Kara-Tur campaign and would personally like to see that setting explored further.

Kara-Tur is part of the Forgotten Realms, and is inspired by real-world East and Southeast Asia cultures, including China, Japan, Mongolia, and other regions. It was originally published in the 1985 book Oriental Adventures, and has since appeared in other formats including a boxed set in 1988. Eight adventure modules for the setting were published in the late 80s. In 2015's Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Kara-Tur is briefly described.

Cocks also touched on Spanish-language translations of D&D books in Latin America, and indicated that there were distribution issues with former licensing agreements in that region.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Whereas my point is that even if the setting is inspired by real world mythology there should be consultants. Because it is far too easy to step on toes.

A lot of current D&D mythology is based on a pastiche of western myths, but we are far enough separated from those for whom those myths were reality that most people don't really know much about them or care. Meanwhile if you look at southeast Asian cultures for inspiration, many beliefs are still considered important and current. So it's a lot easier to offend someone if you even accidentally include something they consider important to their culture.
Also, as part of an ethnic heritage, premodern folkbeliefs can be culturally sacred, even while the contemporary ethnicity holds modern worldviews. This applies to Nordics, Egyptians, and elsewhere.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
It seems like a mistake to actively design a product for one market and then hope it sells in another. I don't know what the Asian D&D market is, but I bet it is much smaller than the Western and especially American market. If they are going to do it, they need to do it for the same market that loves things like Avatar and Blue Eye Samurai.
I expect a D&D product that markets to E Asian gamers will need tweaking when translating for N American gamers.

There is no other way to obtain the authentic sensibilities and sensitivities of an other culture.

This E Asian market D&D, would be D&D, starting with D&D core rules. So there is a shared language, even when the new setting appeals to E Asian nations.

(By the way, I consider Japan and Korea to be Western nations. India too. The "Western World" is remarkably diverse.)

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
There is no other way to obtain the authentic sensibilities and sensitivities of an other culture.
I'm suggesting that isn't desirable. You want the sensibilities of the target audience aka Americans and Europeans, mostly. Because it is they you are trying to sell books to.
(By the way, I consider Japan and Korea to be Western nations. India too. The "Western World" is remarkably diverse.)
Well, that's interesting. Have you discussed this with friends from Japan and Korea? How did they respond?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I'm suggesting that isn't desirable. You want the sensibilities of the target audience aka Americans and Europeans, mostly. Because it is they you are trying to sell books to.
There is potentially much money for D&D to make in E Asia. And the D&D there will be an authentic resource.

Well, that's interesting. Have you discussed this with friends from Japan and Korea? How did they respond?
Scholars. Yes. The ideals of democracy, personal freedoms, human rights, freedom of the press, technology, urbanism, and so on, are shared Western values. My Indian and Sri Lankan friends self-identify with the West.

The "West" is highly diverse.

Last edited:

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Among Asian markets, WotC needs to keep open-gaming in mind. The principle works. Even partnering with a successful indy publisher there would be worthwhile for content to sell to Americans.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
We need to be sensitive, but one world-spanning mono-culture also doesn't make a lot of sense.
Welcome to the world-spanning mono-culture culturally-insensitive Forgotten Realms deities.

One can even call the Forgotten Realms mono-culture deities, Zeus or Isis. Names dont matter. It all works exactly the same, regardless.

Voidrunner's Codex

Related Articles

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads