Hasbro CEO: "D&D is Really on a Tear"

Sorry, that laugh was a result of clumsy fingers on my phone.

Eric V

Hero
I am glad the game is doing well. Hopefully this means people keep their jobs, get better security, benefits, etc.

I do find it weird that a game could be both "on a tear" while simultaneously not giving me something to spend my money on.

I'd like to spend more money on D&D. I can't be the only one. I find it weird that I don't even know what to look forward to spending my money on, especially for a game that is on a tear.

Eh, just my 2 copper bits (starting an Al-Qadim campaign soon!).

Derren

Hero
Lets see it D&D is still "on a Tear" next year when the core book sales have died down and WotC new release strategy kicks in.
And keep in mind, after a year of nothing, any published book looks like a huge increase in revenue when you just look at the charts.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Exactly!

Most CEO's and upper management are given reports that have been passed along. D&D could have just been one of the products that were put on the list without the CEO knowing just how well it's actually doing.

I say D&D is doing good but I don't think it's doing as good as some of you seem to believe. New editions always sell so that's nothing new nor is it any kind of evidence that it's going to last until it's expected expiration date.

Again, this is not how it works. This is not just some PR press release, it's their official quarterly earnings call with investors. This is covered under FTC communications. If he says anything which could lead to investors reasonably mistaking his comment for important revenue for the company and it's not, it becomes a massive stockholder lawsuit. Everything he says has to be vetted by in house council. NOTHING he says can be immaterial or misleading like that. If he is mentioning it, it must be because it's material revenue increase FOR HASBRO, not relative to a prior WOTC number. And it's definitely not just "something someone put in front of him".

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There is a happy medium between the current scarcity of product and the saturation of prior editions.

This assumes that this rate isn't the happy medium. But for many, it is. And for WOTC, they seem to think it is. Two big hardback APs plus some minor products in between like minis and DM screens and such, is somewhere between zero and massive bloat. It might be the happy medium in general - it's just not the point that makes you happy.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Really? Well heck then could you be a good lad and run down to ye olde corner game shoppe and pick me up a shiny new Moldvay boxed set?

Can't find one you say? Only available as a collectible?

UNPOSSIBLE!!!!

By that rationale, anything that isn't readily available that is desired by a single person is a collectible, including asbestos insulation, lead paint, newspapers more than a week old, and so on.

Sacrosanct

Legend
By that rationale, anything that isn't readily available that is desired by a single person is a collectible, including asbestos insulation, lead paint, newspapers more than a week old, and so on.
if people still wanted to use those things, then you'd have an analogy. As is, they are apples and oranges to compare those things to Moldvay's basic

MechaPilot

Explorer
if people still wanted to use those things, then you'd have an analogy. As is, they are apples and oranges to compare those things to Moldvay's basic

People still want to use lead paint. I've worked retail, and we had almost constantly updated do not sell sheets full of Chinese-manufactured children's toys that were discovered to contain lead paint.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

But you would not actually use the shiny new Moldvays Basic or it would not be a collectible......well unless you had two shiny new Moldvays because then you have just increased the rarity by taking another out of circulation.

Remove ads

Remove ads