Hasbro CEO: "D&D is Really on a Tear"

Sorry, that laugh was a result of clumsy fingers on my phone.

Sacrosanct

Legend
People still want to use lead paint. I've worked retail, and we had almost constantly updated do not sell sheets full of Chinese-manufactured children's toys that were discovered to contain lead paint.

But you would not actually use the shiny new Moldvays Basic or it would not be a collectible......well unless you had two shiny new Moldvays because then you have just increased the rarity by taking another out of circulation.

what makes something collectible is a big enough demand for it to still give it a value. I don't think you're gonna get much demand or be able to sell any old 2 week old newspaper for anything of real value. The analogies you used Mecha are bad, sorry.

MechaPilot

Explorer
what makes something collectible is a big enough demand for it to still give it a value. I don't think you're gonna get much demand or be able to sell any old 2 week old newspaper for anything of real value. The analogies you used Mecha are bad, sorry.

As I already mentioned, lead paint is still in demand (by manufacturers of cheap goods, not by most consumers). I think the foreign manufacturing demand for lead paint is high enough that it surpasses the niche demand for individual D&D books.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
D&D books aren't collectable like MtG cards are.

The natural order of the universe is restored.

The best thing about collectable DnD books is that you just need to collect the one book and you are done!

Imagine if you had to keep on buying Players Handbooks until you got the rare DMs guide!

MechaPilot

Explorer
The best thing about collectable DnD books is that you just need to collect the one book and you are done!

Imagine if you had to keep on buying Players Handbooks until you got the rare DMs guide!

Imagine if the pages for each of the books came as loose-leaf ring-binder inserts in randomized boosters according to rarity.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Imagine if the pages for each of the books came as loose-leaf ring-binder inserts in randomized boosters according to rarity.

Imagine if real life players could only get randomised boosters by using "keys" that their characters found in their adventures in Dungeons!

MechaPilot

Explorer
Imagine if real life players could only get randomised boosters by using "keys" that their characters found in their adventures in Dungeons!

Okay, I was going to reply with some kind of Golden Ticket joke, but now I'm just sort of staring off and thinking about a Willy Wonka campaign setting where Nerds are used as mounts instead of horses.

Hussar

Legend
Let's be honest though. DnD books are not intended to be collectables. Moldvay was publishing a game to be played, not displayed.

In the same way that cars are not intended to
Be collectables even if some do become that way. I don't foresee a big push to display my collection of mint condition Ladas.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel

Or that rare PHB with that feat that lets you add your dextery bonus to damage and attack rolls!

Last edited by a moderator:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Let's be honest though. DnD books are not intended to be collectables. Moldvay was publishing a game to be played, not displayed.

Intent doesn't really matter, in this case. Just about anything can become collectable - all you have to do is let time take its toll until they become scarce. Then, specimens in good shape are quite collectable.

Remove ads

Remove ads