• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC Hasbro CEO optimistic about AI in D&D and MTG’s future

Zardnaar

Legend
Had to shift house recently here in Auckland, NZ, every time I looked at a place I had to check if it was in a flood zone so that I know I won't get messed up by another "once in a lifetime" storm.

We've always lived on hills. Always buy on a rise or whatever at least 10m up from any dips. Double that if near a stream or river.

Think we're 120 metres up.

0:55 mark we could look off the balcony and see that.

3 doors down is where the dip is they got it worse than we did.

Helped clean up a house after that flood water 60cm wet through the house. Gib interior.

Few doors up totally unaffected. Just look at the contours or go uphill.

Faolyn

(she/her)
No, that's not the Internet. The Internet gives me 5000 links and I need to figure out which one has the right answer. And then there is the issue of a page of paid ads on Google these days before I get to the right link. Then I need to find on the page where the answer is. Instead, this tool just answers the question directly having summarized a search it already did in half a second.
As I said, if you need it to be 100% accurate, you need the original books.

If you need it to be just right enough, two or three sources will do. And for the vast majority of games "right enough" is good enough.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Which is a great goal, one I imagine everyone wants. I certainly want that too. I just don't think everyone needs to be actively pushing for it, and (more importantly) that people who don't are bad folks. Our polarizing society really seems to force a "them or us" narrative on just about everything.

I care far more about how the content I receive and pay for will work in my game than how its presentation affects the world at large. That is, after all, what the product was made for. Same with any creative media. The most important thing to me for a story is that it's a good story, and it is my opinion that creative works that focus first on creative quality and then look to message are more successful, more entertaining (they are intended as entertainment), and ultimately will be more likely to spread whatever message they're trying to convey more successfully.
You seem to be assuming that diversity and creativity don't go together, or that one may hinder the other. Or even that diversity is only ever added in for the sake of a message, rather than as part of the creativity.

The latter may be true in a few cases, especially if you're cynical about people's motivations, but I think that for the most part, there's going to be diversity because more and more people don't assume that the standard-issue "cishet white male" is the norm.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
No, that's not the Internet. The Internet gives me 5000 links and I need to figure out which one has the right answer. And then there is the issue of a page of paid ads on Google these days before I get to the right link. Then I need to find on the page where the answer is. Instead, this tool just answers the question directly having summarized a search it already did in half a second.
I'm with you on this, I'd much rather have a tool that spits out an answer rather than having to sort through a number of links. Chatgpt is great for this sort of thing.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You seem to be assuming that diversity and creativity don't go together, or that one may hinder the other. Or even that diversity is only ever added in for the sake of a message, rather than as part of the creativity.

The latter may be true in a few cases, especially if you're cynical about people's motivations, but I think that for the most part, there's going to be diversity because more and more people don't assume that the standard-issue "cishet white male" is the norm.
Well, I do tend to be cynical about a lot of content creators, the more so the bigger that content creator is. I believe that the majority if the time, corporate motivations regarding diversity have little to do with diversity for its own sake, and have seen nothing in the last two decades that would speak against that general belief.

That being said, I don't think that they can't go together, or that one necessarily hinders the other. What I think is that it isn't always a value add to every creative project, and that its lack does not automatically make something worth less than it would otherwise be. It depends on the project in question.

Remove ads