WotC Hasbro CEO optimistic about AI in D&D and MTG’s future

Faolyn

(she/her)
That being said, I don't think that they can't go together, or that one necessarily hinders the other. What I think is that it isn't always a value add to every creative project, and that its lack does not automatically make something worth less than it would otherwise be. It depends on the project in question.
How on earth does being diverse--and with it, welcoming a wider range of potential customers--not add value?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
LLMs aren't creative. They're highly advanced autocomplete. I can see people using AI for their own personal use as a starting point to to supplement, I don't see it ever replacing professionals in the foreseeable future.
It already is replacing professionals. You’re certainly right that the tech isn’t good enough yet to competently perform the jobs it’s replacing (and it may not ever be). But they’re doing it anyway, because it’s cheaper than paying professionals to do a competent job, and because the people making those decisions have been bamboozled by the tech industry’s hype.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Which is a great goal, one I imagine everyone wants. I certainly want that too. I just don't think everyone needs to be actively pushing for it, and (more importantly) that people who don't are bad folks. Our polarizing society really seems to force a "them or us" narrative on just about everything.

I care far more about how the content I receive and pay for will work in my game than how its presentation affects the world at large. That is, after all, what the product was made for. Same with any creative media. The most important thing to me for a story is that it's a good story, and it is my opinion that creative works that focus first on creative quality and then look to message are more successful, more entertaining (they are intended as entertainment), and ultimately will be more likely to spread whatever message they're trying to convey more successfully.
Good stories have messages. It doesn’t make sense to focus on either first, because the two are so deeply intertwined. Any attempt to write “a good story” without regard to its message, and then derive a message from what you end up with is sure to end up just as bland and uninteresting as an attempt to convey a specific message without regard to the quality of the story through which it’s expressed. You need both things.

mamba

Legend
But the point here is, there is way too much bad science relating to climate change − because of a hysteria and an agenda that even people who should know better indulge in.
eh, we might not have the predictions nailed down just yet, but the trends are clear (and often enough worse than predicted too..), and that it is man made is also clear, no matter how much you try to ‘both sides’ this

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
How on earth does being diverse--and with it, welcoming a wider range of potential customers--not add value?
If the subject matter is not about a diverse subject. Something specifically historical (or meant to evoke such) might qualify, depending on the subject.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Good stories have messages. It doesn’t make sense to focus on either first, because the two are so deeply intertwined. Any attempt to write “a good story” without regard to its message, and then derive a message from what you end up with is sure to end up just as bland and uninteresting as an attempt to convey a specific message without regard to the quality of the story through which it’s expressed. You need both things.
I don't think every story needs to be created with a message in mind, certainly not a moral one. Not every story is about right and wrong.

mamba

Legend
That doesn't seem much different than a search engine to me at first blush.
at first blush, yes, but then you are using pretty bad prompts, ie searches you could use on Google too instead of something like ‘give me a three paragraph summary on … in the style of Gary Gygax’

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
at first blush, yes, but then you are using pretty bad prompts, ie searches you could use on Google too instead of something like ‘give me a three paragraph summary on … in the style of Gary Gygax’

Is that into LLM territory to do that, and thus subject to hallucinating?

My second paragraph was simply that searching for excerpts is one way to avoid hallucinating.

Remove ads