Hasbro Game Sales Drop Nearly A Quarter (due to MtG and Digital Games)

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I still blame Fortnight.

You Cant See Me Video Game GIF by GIPHY Gaming

DNDElise

DM's Guild and DriveThruRPG writer
I wonder if inflation on everything else and the impending doom of the economic downturn in the news is also impacting things. Folks are going to buy less extras to get the bills and groceries paid for. News is also discussing a coming recession and everything with the fed is leading to the fear of layoffs. Folks are encouraged to save during economic down turns.

It is also hard to keep up with all the MTG releases. Definitely a fire hydrant feel to the releases lately. I wonder if the article is right about the "wallet fatigue".

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
So they're doing better than the market in general. What's the deal about everybody losing their minds?

GOOGLE: How much has the stock market dropped in 2022?

The tech-heavy Nasdaq 100 has dropped nearly 33 percent so far in 2022, the Dow Jones Industrial Average lost more than 20 percent while the world's best-known cryptocurrency, Bitcoin, shed nearly 60 percent of its value.Sep 30, 2022
What, you didn't want to join the HODL gang?

(The rap is amusing, what happened to your money if you invested it not so much.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Yea, the same bank that just gave Elon 13 billion dollars to buy twitter?
I have to imagine there have been conversations inside BoA and everyone else involved in fronting money for Twitter about being more prudent, given that Musk is driving out advertisers like crazy and the site looks like it's on a path to going out of business in 12 months or so.

If I were a BoA senior manager, I'd absolutely be telling staff to act like the global recession is already here, rather than just imminent.

More relevant to ENWorld, if Hasbro is overreaching with MTG by printing too many sets, are they going to do the same thing with D&D, either under current plans or after they inevitably cut back on MTG at some point? Could 2024 edition have a much more 3E-like release schedule?

darjr

I crit!
I have to imagine there have been conversations inside BoA and everyone else involved in fronting money for Twitter about being more prudent, given that Musk is driving out advertisers like crazy and the site looks like it's on a path to going out of business in 12 months or so.

If I were a BoA senior manager, I'd absolutely be telling staff to act like the global recession is already here, rather than just imminent.

More relevant to ENWorld, if Hasbro is overreaching with MTG by printing too many sets, are they going to do the same thing with D&D, either under current plans or after they inevitably cut back on MTG at some point? Could 2024 edition have a much more 3E-like release schedule?
You can believe it if you’d like. My bet there are powerful folks at BOA still thinking it was a good idea.

Scribe

Legend

I actually looked at this (MTG) for the first time in a long time, and they certainly appear to have flooded the market. Covid was a bubble for entertainment options it seems, and I dont think what MTG had going on, was sustainable.

$1000 boosters for non tournament legal cards is laaaaaaaaaaughable.

Remove ads