D&D Movie/TV Hasbro To Produce Official D&D Documentary

Hasbro, through its Entertainment One media division, is set to produce a documentary about Dungeons & Dragons, directed by actor Joe Manganiello and filmmaker Kyle Newman. It will be timed to release during 2024's 50th anniversary of the game.

dnd.jpg

Over 400 hours of footage, going back to the 1970s, will be drawn upon, much of it never seen before. The documentary will also feature interviews with celebrity fans (as in celebrities who are fans of D&D, not fans of celebrities).

Also involved is D&D historian Jon Peterson, author of Playing at the World.

Another 'definitive' documentary, Role Players, also containing never-seen footage and celbrity interviews, was announced earlier this year.

LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 12, 2022-- Entertainment One (eOne), Hasbro, Inc’s (NASDAQ: HAS) entertainment studio, announced today that it will produce the definitive documentary feature about the world’s greatest roleplaying game™. The Dungeons & Dragons® documentary will coincide with the game’s 50thanniversary in 2024. Dungeons & Dragons writer and official ambassador Joe Manganiello will co-direct with Kyle Newman and producing alongside his brother Nick Manganiello, Anthony Savini, and Cecily Tyler. Tara Long and Geno McDermott are executive producing for eOne alongside leading Dungeons & Dragons scholar Jon Peterson, Adam F. Goldberg, and Kyle Newman.

“I have had the pleasure of working in the past with Joe on True Blood among other projects and cannot think of a better more passionate person to dive headfirst into the world of Dungeons & Dragons from both a player and fan perspective,” said Michael Lombardo, eOne’s Head of Global Television. “The addition of Kyle Newman, Nick Manganiello, and Jon Peterson also bring unique and multiple dimensions to the history we plan to document. As we approach 50 years of this incredible gaming universe, the time is right for an officially authorized telling of the game’s origins and current state of play to its passionate fan based from all walks of life and its global cultural impact.”

“I couldn’t be more proud and excited to get back behind the camera for another documentary, this time with the D&D dream team of Jon, Kyle, and my brother and producing partner Nick. I lived through the rise and fall and rise again of this legacy brand that has not only meant so much to me but has served as the fountainhead of creativity for an entire generation of writers, artists, and creative minds, influencing so much of our culture,” said Joe Manganiello. “None of this would have been possible without Nathan Stewart at Wizards of the Coast and my eternally supportive boss from the HBO/True Blood days, Michael Lombardo and the fantastic team at eOne.”

“Dungeons & Dragons has sparked the imagination of fans all over the world for nearly 50 years and we continue to bring exciting and engaging experiences to new generations,” said Cynthia Williams, Hasbro President of Wizards of the Coast and Digital Gaming, “As we approach this milestone celebration, I am excited to have a creative team with authentic passion for the brand producing what we hope will become a defining look at the World’s Greatest Roleplaying Game’s storied history.”

The film will draw from over 400 hours of archived, never-before-seen Dungeons & Dragons footage going back to the game’s creation in the early 1970s, to which the Manganiellos, Newman, and Goldberg have spent the last years acquiring exclusive rights. It will also include exclusive interviews filmed during production with a variety of celebrity fans of the game. This footage, along with Wizards of the Coast’s agreement to give the production team inside access to highly confidential developments concerning the game and brand — the company’s first time authorizing such access — position this project to be the definitive documentary on the game’s soon to be half-century history.

Dungeons & Dragons, one of Hasbro’s key franchise brands, is a leading fantasy entertainment franchise, fueled by the imagination of storytellers around the world. More than 50 million fans have interacted with or played D&D since it was first published 48 years ago, including videogames and livestream entertainment on Twitch and YouTube.

This new Dungeons & Dragons expansion across entertainment is another example Hasbro’s Blueprint in action, delivering multichannel entertainment to fans on some of the world’s most beloved brands. The Company is actively collaborating on a number of upcoming scripted film and TV projects based on Hasbro’s storied IP.

Joe Manganiello’s entertainment career spans over two decades and includes roles in the SPIDER-MAN and MAGIC MIKE franchises, as well as such television series as True Blood, How I Met Your Mother, and Love, Death & Robots. An avid Dungeons & Dragons fan and player, he is well known for hosting campaigns with a large rotation of celebrity guests, including some of the biggest names in Hollywood’s fantasy and superhero space.

In 2012, Joe and brother Nick Manganiello launched 3:59 Inc., which has since feature titles including BOTTOM OF THE 9TH, starring Joe opposite Sofia Vergara, and the documentary LA BARE, Joe’s well-received directorial debut.

Newman is an award-winning filmmaker and New York Times Bestselling author. His directorial credits include FANBOYS, the Star Wars-centered comedy starring Seth Rogen and Kristen Bell, and BARELY LETHAL, A24’s action-comedy starring Academy Award nominees Hailee Steinfeld and Samuel L. Jackson, and this summer’s esports comedy 1UP for Lionsgate/Prime Video. Newman earned critical acclaim for his documentary RAIDERS: THE STORY OF THE GREATEST FAN FILM EVER MADE, as well as the book “Dungeons & Dragons: Art & Arcana,” the Hugo Award finalist he wrote alongside Peterson.

Peterson, a games historian and New York Times bestselling author, is the world’s foremost Dungeons & Dragons scholar. His book “Playing at the World” is widely considered an authoritative and exhaustive exploration of the game’s roots and legacy. On top of this title and “Dungeons & Dragons: Art & Arcana,” he wrote the New York Times bestselling “Heroes’ Feast: The Official D&D Cookbook,” also alongside Newman, and the MIT-published “The Elusive Shift: How Role-Playing Games Forged Their Identity” and most recently “Game Wizards.”

Last edited:

talien

Community Supporter
I received the following email from Kickstarter

Project Update #62: Dungeons & Dragons: A Documentary by Westpaw Films

D&D a Doc, the next chapter.
Westpaw FilmsCreator
October 14, 2022
After years of discussions, the next chapter of this film is about to begin. Joe Manganiello and Kyle Newman will take over the directing of the film and Nick Manganiello will produce for their company 359 and eOne. More details will be coming soon, but for now, here is the announcment.

Project Update #61 was sent in January 2016 and mentions the court case.....
So, I was on the ground floor of this project, even spoke to a bunch of the folks involved at Gen Con (I met Tim Kask and Jon Peterson in person way back in the Before Times). I may even be in it (I was interviewed at my home early on). I suspect my interview will be cut given the far more experienced pros involved, but I'm still happy it's moving forward after all these years!

Why would that be? I much preferred 3.5 to 3.0. 4E was the bad business decision.
Because 3.5 was released barely three years after 3.0, with enough changes to challenge the 'backwards compatibility' claim (much like One D&D could be, from the looks of the AU packages released so far), making a lot of third-party products functionally obsolete.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
I would love to see a legit D&D documentary.

I paid into a Kickstarter D&D documentary about 8 years ago. It never came to be and I'm out money. I've tried for years to get my money back. Nada.

JDragon

Explorer
For those that backed the earlier Kickstarter "Dungeons & Dragons: A Documentary" in 2012 by Westpaw Films another more recent D&D Documentary KS being done by some of the people involved in the original are offering a free copy of their film once its completed.

The original KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewpascal/dungeons-and-dragons-a-documentary/description

The new KS offering a free copy: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/720223857/the-great-kingdom/

The information about the free copy is at the bottom of the main page in the Risks & Challenges section.
1665764148211.png

I was made aware of this by another backer from the original film in the comments on the latest update. I emailed the address above ( themostepicgame@gmail.com ) last night and got a response this morning. They indicated they have not determined how they will be sharing it yet, but it is still the plan and my name is now on the list.
While I can not guarantee this will actually happen, they appear to have stated it from the beginning of their campaign and are clearly more responsive than who ever is in charge of the original KS currently.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Another update:

UPDATE #63

D&D documentary - More detials​

Westpaw FilmsCreator
October 15, 2022
Hello everyone,
In my haste to share good news, I left out some information in my last post that you all wanted. So I'm writing to say you were heard and I apologize for not putting it all down at once. I was excited to share the news with you during a grueling work week and didn't fully consider the surprise and questions the post would cause.

I'm happy to see that the vast majority of you see this as we do; a big win for the project.

I hope the below answers your questions as the film goes to its new home.
There have been several groups interested in the film over the years, but Kyle, Joe and Nick stood out for several reasons. One reason is they understood the Kickstarter aspect of this film. The first thing we discussed was how to fulfill the original backers.
So, while this will be in the hands of eOne, Hasbro and the distributor, I have done everything I can to protect the backers and what you'll receive for your contribution. So for example, credits, from "Thank you" to Executive Producer, should port over to this film.
A lot has changed since the time of DVDs. While I'll have no control over where and how this film is distributed, I've done everything I can to make sure that distribution of a version will happen to the backers who paid for a copy.
While this may not be perfect, It's a huge win. My drive to finish the project was hindered by what happened over the last ten years, yet I wanted to finish the film for you. That obligation is something I've always felt.
Kyle and Joe have a love for D&D that out shines the others who wanted the film. The story they want to tell is in line with the way we are going to tell it. I feel excited and confident in turning the footage over to them to make the 50th anniversary Dungeons & Dragons film.
You helped make this happen. I cannot thank you enough.

So, we are supposed to get something.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
So
For those that backed the earlier Kickstarter "Dungeons & Dragons: A Documentary" in 2012 by Westpaw Films another more recent D&D Documentary KS being done by some of the people involved in the original are offering a free copy of their film once its completed.

The original KS: Dungeons & Dragons: A Documentary

The new KS offering a free copy: The Great Kingdom

The information about the free copy is at the bottom of the main page in the Risks & Challenges section.
View attachment 263987

I was made aware of this by another backer from the original film in the comments on the latest update. I emailed the address above ( themostepicgame@gmail.com ) last night and got a response this morning. They indicated they have not determined how they will be sharing it yet, but it is still the plan and my name is now on the list.
While I can not guarantee this will actually happen, they appear to have stated it from the beginning of their campaign and are clearly more responsive than who ever is in charge of the original KS currently.

So both documentaries are coming from the same divided project, and both will see the light of day?

It really is a miraculous time to be a D&D fan.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases