Haste + TWF

Elephant

First Post
So, we had a little disagreement about the effects of TWF + Haste in my game tonight.

The TWF fighter had +8 with a Scimitar or +4/+4 with dual scimitars.

Wizard casts Haste and says "Okay, your attack sequence will be +8/+4/+4" (get an extra attack at your highest possible bonus).

I contradicted him and said, "No, it'll be +4/+4/+4" (get an extra attack at your highest possible bonus during that round).

Which interpretation would you support, O fellow ENWorlders?

For reference:

Haste says "When making a full attack action, a hasted creature may make one extra attack with any weapon he is holding. The attack is made using the creature’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation."

Two-Weapon Fighting says "If you wield a second weapon in your off hand, you can get one extra attack per round with that weapon. You suffer a –6 penalty with your regular attack or attacks with your primary hand and a –10 penalty to the attack with your off hand when you fight this way."

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Assuming he had the feats to reduce the penalties to -4 each hand, then you were right. "The attack is made using the creature’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation."

The penalty for TWF is a modifer appropriate to the situation.

Derro

First Post
Since the attacker was using two 1-h weapons (-4 penalty) it probably would have been best to take +8/+8 with the primary weapon unless the defender had a very high or very low AC or the off hand weapon had a particularly appropriate special ability.

But yes, your interpretation is correct. Highest possible means highest possible that round. By your player's interpretation the penalty for Power Attack or Expertise would not be included either, which is wrong.

The distinction is there too indicate that the attack is not iterative but primary, I believe.

Remove ads