• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

have 3rd parties gotten the srd yet?

Gundark

Explorer
Just wanting an update as to whether or not 3rd party publishers have gotten the SRD yet.
I know that Necro and Paizo were wondering when they would get it. I havn't heard anything.

Anyone know?

Orcus

First Post
Nope. Not yet, at least not for Necro. I cant speak for anyone else.

I'm hoping it will be soon. Its gotta be soon.

I've even offered to help write a draft "gentleperson's agreement" to cover the period of time until a final formal SRD is available. I dont expect there to be an actual SRD for pre-launch (or launch).

We'll see.

Of course, the PHB pushback gives me an extra month's breathing room since May is now longer off the table and launch starts June.

Clark

Ashardalon

First Post
Orcus said:
I dont expect there to be an actual SRD for pre-launch (or launch).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the 3.5 SRD and the Modern SRD were available pretty soon after launch, unlike some other SRD additions and unlike the 3.0 SRD. Also, it seems that it is the plan to have the SRD available pretty soon after launch (those posts were made when the DMG still was to be released in July).

sidonunspa

First Post
Same here for Paradigm Concepts, no 4e SRD yet.

But I'm holding out hope that we do see a copy of the SRD before 4e hits the shelves. I have faith in the guys at WoTC, they are a good bunch of people who do want what’s best for the gaming industry. I think they understand that a strong gaming industry can only help their sales.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Not yet, but that hasn't stopped us from working on our product line. Has WotC changed their plans? I was under the impression that we wouldn't get anything until the new year.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Surely the chances of getting an SRD before a major rules dump hits the market (i.e. the first adventure) are minimal? No NDA in the world will keep that document from hitting the net within a few days of its release.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
wedgeski said:
Surely the chances of getting an SRD before a major rules dump hits the market (i.e. the first adventure) are minimal?

There is pretty much no chance we'll get the SRD. We'll probably get a .doc of the rulebooks with notes on which areas to avoid. That's how it worked last time. I don't need the SRD to develop products.

I wish I had a better idea of when this would be available. My livelihood doesn't depend on it though since we're so small. I really feel for the bigger companies out there like Paizo, Necromancer, Green Ronin, et. al.

If I'm not mistake, Alliance is probably soliciting for products now. I wonder if there will be a lot of "made up" products in their catalog since no one knows what's going on with 4e?

Orcus

First Post
I too have faith in the WotC guys. Scott is a great guy. So is Bill. So is Mearls. And all the rest. I know they believe in Open Gaming and want to find the best way to make it all work. I also realize that getting stuff to me is less important right now then hitting their deadlines for the core books. So I dont have any heartburn that I dont have the stuff yet. Sure, it impacts my ability to support 4E at launch. But I am committed to 4E support. If I get the rules by Nov 1 (given the PHB release push back) I should be fine. Even if a tiny bit after that it simply means I work more real late nights that I intentded. But Necro will have Tome of Horrors 4th Edition and Tegel Manor out at or right near launch. My target is July.

Clark

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Orcus said:
If I get the rules by Nov 1 (given the PHB release push back) I should be fine. Even if a tiny bit after that it simply means I work more real late nights that I intended. But Necro will have Tome of Horrors 4th Edition and Tegel Manor out at or right near launch. My target is July.

Clark, is this just a hope that you get the rules by November 1st or have they communicated with you that this is a possibility? Last time around, this was much more organized with the email list and such that Ryan ran. I missed Gencon this year so I'm pretty much in the dark at this point.

Remove ads