D&D General Have Githzerai always been jerks?

neogod22

Explorer
Yeap, you "habe" me. Oh wait, my point was to correct the misinformation you were spreading. I won't call it lies - you were pretty clear that you were self-delusional in what was actually official. It was just wrong. As was the point you made based on what the "official" settings did for "every" edition of D&D.

It was a bit comical when you came back with your proof for every edition was just the change from tail-end of 4e to 5e. You did a great job of undermining your points so no one who reads the thread will accidentally mistake them for being correct.

Hasta la later.
What proof. I don't even care. You're just a faceless nobody who wants to feel important. What's comical is that you think this is gonna get you cool points on the internet. You're only doing this becaise you want to feel wanted. You don't get enough attention in your real life?

While disagreement is fine, we prefer you do so without being disagreeable. Don’t make it personal. If you think someone else made it personal, please don’t respond in kind, use the report button. That’s why it’s there.

Consider yourself on vacation from this thread and don’t post in it again.

Last edited by a moderator:

What proof. I don't even care. You're just a faceless nobody who wants to feel important. What's comical is that you think this is gonna get you cool points on the internet. You're only doing this becaise you want to feel wanted. You don't get enough attention in your real life?
This is completely and utterly irrelevant.

Needs to be pointed out that Fr wasn't the only one to have lore explanations for edition changes. Die Vecna Die was in fact relevant to all settings (although the action only took place in Ravenloft, Greyhawk and Planescape) and Greyhawk had its own 1E -> 2E adventure, Fate of Istus. Assassins and monks would actually change into other classes in the conclusion of the adventure, a change that only makes sense if you remember those classes disappeared in 2nd edition. Mystara never got one because it stayed in Basic D&D until the end of that line and by the time it transitioned to 2nd Edition it was TSR's final days anyway. Dragonlance didn't have a transition adventure either, as I recall, but it had a sort of rocky, zombie-like existence in late 1st Edition and 2nd Edition. Of the 2nd edition settings, Spelljammer was already dead by the time 3rd edition rolled around, as was Birthright and Dark Sun. Al Qadim and Kara Tur were already folded up into the Forgotten Realms.

Interestingly the event in Dragonlance that might seem to be mandated by edition changes, the "Summer of Chaos", was not about transitioning the world from 2nd edition to SAGA. In fact, the novel was written first, and the game developers were left to try and scramble and build up a playable setting from the ashes. (It was a testament to some of the good design there that they did, even if people rejected it because it wasn't what they were used to.) Similarly, the War of Souls was more a Sundering-style reset to the world rather than an "explanation" of going from SAGA to 3rd Edition D&D, since the new edition of the game had been out for a few years anyway by then.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
The most important thing about Githzerai is that they only went the lawful route because Dak'kon was that compelling of a character, and Githzerai lore that bare beforehand that Dak'kon's lore just stuck on them. Dak'kon is good folks.

Didn't their boring wizard-king get a good reinvention in 5E that actually makes sense and isn't just his old copy-paste from the Githyanki he was previously?

dave2008

Legend
Blue’s been here a lot longer than you. Based on your posts in this thread your descriptions of him/her seem to be a good representation of the public face you are presenting on this forum.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Githzerai are jerks. Githyanki are jerks.

And you know what makes them both even jerkier? Abandoning their pointless conflict lore, uniting them as one race (the Gith) and having them focus their endless jerkiness onto the rest of the universe instead of each other.

And it doesn't matter what campaign I run, those same Gith are out there ready to ruin your day shorten your life. :devilish:

digitalelf

Explorer
FR wasn't the default setting for any edition prior to 5th.

Jeff Grubb made several statements both in Dragon Magazine, as well as in two 2nd edition FR products that 2e was THE home of FR (not just "A" home, but "THE" home).

Admittedly, that can be taken a couple of different ways.

Regardless...

The most compelling statement comes from Dragon magazine issue #153 (January 1990) in the article "The Game Wizards":

Jeff Grubb said:
The FORGOTTEN REALMS setting is TSRs official AD&D 2nd Edition world.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases