• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you bought any books because they won an ENnie?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
To be honest, I don't really pay any attention to the Ennies. I have no idea what's been nominated, much less which products won awards.

A lot of this is because I'm heavily involved in the RPGA, and tend to buy only products that can be used in RPGA games, or my Forgotten Realms home game.

Neo

Explorer
Speaking for myself, I have never ever bought "any" book because it has won "any" sort of award Ennie or otherwise.

I buy books based on "need", "content" and "review" in that order, indeed the only thing if anything, which can ever make me impulse buy is good art.. i'm a sucker for a pretty book or picture.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
In all honesty, no.

By the time the ENnies roll around, I have already heard of all the products and own the ones I think I can use and enjoy.

Emiricol

I've taken second looks at a couple products that have won ENnies. Products I hadn't bought before, but then went ahead and bought, in part because of the ENnies. If they go away, I doubt I'd notice, though.

DiamondB

Explorer
Supporter
I have a number of products that have won an ENnie or have been nominated. However, none of my purchases are based on the award. I think the awards are a great nod to those involved with the award winning product, but more often than not, I've already got the product and completely agree with the fact that they won the award.

For 2004 here's what I've gotten that won:
Arcana Unearthed
Dawnforge
Torn Asunder
Book of Fiends

Coincidentally everything I bought this year that was nominated also won.

I can't say for certain about past years as I don't know the winners off the top of my head. I do know I have some winners in my collection, again purchased without consideration to the ENnies. I must say though, that while the ENnies may have not influenced a purchase, ENWorld in some way usually did.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Magical Medieval Society, purchased sight unseen at GenCon simply because they were nominated. When an underdog or unknown gets a nom, that really gets my attention.

Jaws

First Post
Psion said:
Would it be a problem if I pointed out it didn't win? Wasn't even nominated. (Not that I didnn't try.)
My bad. The ENnies 2004 page wouldn't upload for me (my computer was having problems at the time) when I tried to check.

It must of been from reading about it in ENnies threads that made me thought so.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

In previous years, yes, I have purchased a book because it won an ENnie or was nominated. The quality of all the winning or nominated books that I purchased was what made me want to be a judge this year. Off the top of my head, books that I purchased because they won an ENnie include: GM Mastery-NPC Essentials, Mutants & Masterminds, Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, Monsternomicon, and Necromancer's Legacy. I know I have also bought several others because they were nominated or won, but can't think of them off hand. Now, I don't buy books just becasue they won an ENnie, but if I have considered a book and it was nominated, I certainly gave it a second look, and often bought it. I also had my eyes opened to some books that I probably wouldn't have looked at otherwise.

Baron Opal

First Post
Because it won an Ennie, no. But, it does bring to my attention products that I would otherwise not look at. At this time I only purchase products that fit a specific need for my campaign. Shopping around, I notice several products that would fit my needs, and those that win an Ennie get the first look. I ended up purchasing Magical Mideval Society because it won an Ennie, attracted my attention, and I found that it would suit my needs.

In other words, I don't buy because of it, but if a product wins an award it moves up the list.

Baron Opal

Remove ads