D&D General Have you ever had a Gnoll PC?

Have you had a Gnoll PC before?

• I did/do in 5E

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • A friend did/does in 5E

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I did/do in a previous edition

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • A friend did/does in a previous edition

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • Nope, never temptrd

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • My friends never did either

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • I wasn't tempted before, but now that they say no...

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Eww, yuck

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Gnolls? Is that a Gnome/Troll hybrid?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I love Gnolls, but haven't played one

Votes: 14 19.4%

I am toying with a gnoll replacement (more along the lines of Runequest's broo, which operate in the same thematic space) and making it a playable ancestry in Shadowdark, although it would be one of the "uncorrupted" tribes, rather than evil demon-worshipping ones.

Doesn't Kobold Press have gnolls available as a PC race in their Southlands setting?
I believe so. I was able to find the 5e stats for the Gnolls in the Midgard Heroes Handbook on 5esrd.com. Gnoll – 5th Edition SRD There are two Gnoll subraces mentioned in this link-Civilized and Savage.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Never played or seen on in almost 30 years. Bought Complete Book of Humanoids 1997.
In 2Ed, there were only 2 “nonstandard” races I used for a PC.

The first was a Drow Druid/Rgr/MU* and the second was a Minotaur Ftr/MU.

* FWIW, created right after a couple of Dragon Magazine articles offering those options- years before Drizzt was ever published.

I believe so. I was able to find the 5e stats for the Gnolls in the Midgard Heroes Handbook on 5esrd.com. Gnoll – 5th Edition SRD There are two Gnoll subraces mentioned in this link-Civilized and Savage.
The Southlands Player's Guide book from a couple of years back added additional (and better) gnoll subraces into Midgard, though I'm a bit surprised they never got promoted to open game content.

I'm not a massive fan of the KP gnoll game mechanics mind you. The Bully and Obsequious racial traits come too close for my liking to having your PCs race dictate their personality. I'd probably look to houserule those.

Zardnaar

Legend
The Southlands Player's Guide book from a couple of years back added additional (and better) gnoll subraces into Midgard, though I'm a bit surprised they never got promoted to open game content.

I'm not a massive fan of the KP gnoll game mechanics mind you. The Bully and Obsequious racial traits come too close for my liking to having your PCs race dictate their personality. I'd probably look to houserule those.

They're not that good mechanically anway iirc.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've found that Kobold Press's player-facing material certainly trends underpowered when compared to WotCs stuff. There's exceptions on both sides, of course, but I'm talking in general terms.

Yup. WotC has power crept a lot of stuff MHH classes are OK relative to 2014 phb the races mostly meh. Ratfolk are great think the bear was decent.

Remove ads