• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Have you ever refused to come back from the dead?

Ever refused a Raise, Rez, etc.?

• Yes.

Votes: 160 73.1%
  • No.

Votes: 59 26.9%

Doug McCrae said:
There's a player in our game who has a 'no resurrections' policy - ie he always refuses them for his PCs - which I find somewhat implausible. Most living things want to go on living. It's effectively the same as choosing to commit suicide.

Except that, in order to refuse a resurrection, you have to be dead... How do most dead things feel about going on being dead?

I have had several characters refuse resurrection. The most recent was a cleric who died at roughly the same time as he achieved his goal... So he definitely didn't need to come back, otherwise he might've been given another assignment, and who wants that?

Later
silver

Seeker95

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
There's a player in our game who has a 'no resurrections' policy - ie he always refuses them for his PCs - which I find somewhat implausible. Most living things want to go on living. It's effectively the same as choosing to commit suicide.
I see the opposite as more likely to be true. If there is a next world, from which a soul can return, then it is a helluva lot better than this one, no matter which mythology you believe in. What soul wants to give up perfection for more time in this crap?

PrinceZane

First Post
Nope. I'm 3 years playing and no deaths *knock on wood*

Granted none of our chars have made it past lvl 15 due to DM switching (thus new chars).

Viva la Rogue!

drothgery

First Post
I don't think I've ever had a character raised, actually. Until recently I had pretty good luck with characters not dying. Then I had few PCs die in ways that required spells beyond the party's means to bring back at the time. And then I lost a couple devoted followers of the Silver Flame in situations where it didn't look like the world was riding on their survival, so I followed traditional doctrine and let them stay dead.

Of course, I have to admit that I've got a decent-sized stack of things I want to try in a real game, and while sometimes I'd rather not see a PC die, there's usually something I can put together for an alternate.

scourger

Explorer
No, but I should have. I had moved on to another character, and the reincarnation really messed up the first character. I had a premonition to refuse because the character was in paradise (I had just seen that episode of Buffy, too). Sadly, I bowed to peer pressure and brought him back.

Drowbane

First Post
I have only had two characters accept a Rezz since around my sophmore year of highschool...

All the rest, enjoyed thier afterlife :p

edit: forgot one!

Last edited:

hong

WotC's bitch
I view it as the character doesn't have any say in the matter. Sometimes a 1st level flunky can be resurrected, sometimes a 20th level mythic hero passes on. The inconstant whims of fate, the deliberations of the gods, the workings of destiny are what decides whether they come back. However, it's convenient from a metagame point of view for those inconstant whims, deliberations and workings to be correlated to the PLAYER'S decision on what happens to the character.

BadMojo

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
In a setting with a concrete, 100% real afterlife--and assuming the character in question winds up in one of the better planes, as opposed to Hell or the Abyss--I don't think it's impausible at all.

Every time I've had a character choose whether to come back from the dead or not it's been for metagame reasons (ie., character I like, want to try something new). I can almost always find an in-game reason for either decision.

By the way, I think playing a character who has been resurrected after spending a day, year or century in the Abyss would be awesome. So many cool ways to go with that. Do you try to redeem yourself or just keep on being a bastard and find a way to live forever? Maybe you come back stark raving mad. Lots of fun possibilities. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads