• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Having Years in-game between adventures, Good/Stupid

Omegaxicor

First Post
I am designing the start of a new campaign and I was wondering about starting at Level 1 and explaining some of the recent historical changes by having the player's characters be part of the events.

This would allow the players to steer events how they will but it means several gaps of a year or two between adventures.

Does anyone have experience in doing this or are there any obvious problems to avoid

delericho

Legend
You'll need to find some explanation for what the PCs have been doing in all that downtime. (By "you", of course, I mean you and your players.)

Other than that, there shouldn't be any problems.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I very much enjoy playing up the "in game" passage of time, the seasons, weather conditions at certain times of year, and am also prone to prefer a slow progression of level gain. In a lot of fantasy pseudo-middle ages game worlds, the fact that winter would practically bring travel and exploration to a complete stop is often ignored/overlooked (outside of where you could get to within, say, an hour-to-half a day). The fact that, even in good weather, travel time to/from the [normally] remote locales where adventuring/experience gaining takes place is also MUCH more time consuming than we think of traveling, today.

Perhaps your group is made up of "reluctant heroes." Do they have the skills and abilities? Yes. Do they want to be venturing out to put their life on the line on a daily basis? Realistically thinking, most people, regardless of their abilities and power (esp. low level D&D PCs) would not. For all of these reasons, I see no issue with having there be a year or two between actual missions/assignments.

That said, it can become disquieting to a) more inexperienced players - who might not yet be comfortable with the imagining of the game world and their character's place in it...then being "warped" to a year later might be difficult to wrap their heads around. "What have I been doing for that year? Did I gain a level? Why not? What's happened?" or b) more experienced players who will want to spend the downtime in training/"powering up", "I level up in that year, right? And I have 2 dozen new scrolls and potions...how many new spells can I track down in this town? [and/or "I had my sword worked on by the town's dwarf blacksmith so now it's +3, right?!"]." Having a system in place for how much "down-/training time" of normal everyday pursuits might amount to a level gained is not a terrible idea.

And if random warping up of levels during downtime is to be part of your campaign equation, that too can be disruptive for newer players who, perhaps, haven't even had time to get used to their current abilities before being told "*WHOOSH!* You have a whole batch of new abilities/skills/powers to work with now." Which can also be disruptive in the out-of-game at the table as people need to look up/forget/ask questions about their new stuff.

I very much recommend letting players, in the beginning levels of the campaign, at least, spend a little bit of time playing out the downtime. Have them think about what's at their disposal (wherever they have to be living/staying during these periods). Interact with NPCs, maybe make some allies as well as enemies, etc... "I spend 4 months researching new spells and 3 months transcribing as much as I can. Rest of the time I take it easy."; "I spend every waking hour at the pub and burglarizing the locals whenever I need some more money."; "I volunteer my swird for the town's militia/guard and take on whatever rounds/shifts/patrols they assign me for six months. The rest of the time I relax, research what I can about where we might go after the coming thaw and check in with my companions/friends at least once per week per PC." etc...

Once you get into a groove with this, and/or the PCs become higher level, you can gloss through this in minutes. "I go back to Arold the Sage's mansion and spend X00 gp on these specific spells that I know, from my training with him last winter, he has in his library."; "I go ack to the pub and spend all waking [mostly] sober time in the company of the barmaid I've fallen for from years ago...and burglarizing the locals, but more careful to not go after anyone I actually know/like."; "I take over my supervisory role as Guard Captain, leaving the scheduling and distribution of duties to my trusted lieutenants whom I've hand picked and worked with for the passed 5 years." etc...DM: "You each achieve these goals, gain [roll, roll] this much gp, and your spell, for your efforts. Your contacts are all thrilled to see you back again for the coming harsh season. You were missed through the harvest that occurred during your last adventure (which took you away for about 2 months all told). Oh, and Thief? Your barmaid/mistress nervously informs you that she is pregnant."

And, if you happen to notice the players getting tired/grumbling/eyes rolling of these time-passages, then maybe between a few adventures, just skip it! Handwave a year goes by without any game time played...or add in some "off season" minor side-adventures. then, perhaps after a couple of levels, go back to roleplaying some of the downtime inbetween "campaign plot" adventures.

So...on the whole, yes I think it is a good idea. Yes, I have done this before with groups [of experienced players] and it is generally accepted. But you will want to be prepared (with interesting places and NPCs for the players to get to know, possible wandering monsters and/or minor side-quests to keep them busy/interested) and watch out for the kind of "passive railroading" of "I need you guys to be this level because this is what I want you doing/going up against next. So we're skipping ahead 2 years so you guys can all make yourselves X level."

Gilladian

Adventurer
I do it all the time in my campaign world. My PCs like spending a few months building their homes and jobs, spending time with family, etc...

I usually send them all a long email asking them how they spend their off-time, and if they want to accomplish anything significant. Such breaks are often related to the fact that I use longer magic-item and spell-research times than most normal games... I don't like the idea of popping in at the smithy on Friday and asking for a magic weapon, only to be told "It will be ready for pickup on Monday!"

Celebrim

Legend
I am designing the start of a new campaign and I was wondering about starting at Level 1 and explaining some of the recent historical changes by having the player's characters be part of the events.

This is frequently done as a literary technique, and I've considered doing it before but never followed through on it. For example, I considered doing one campaign kick off with the PC's as children, having an adventure as children, and then the next adventure be years latter with the same PC's as young adults. This was essentially my 'It' set up.

I didn't follow through on it for a variety of reasons. One of the more practical is a dead PC from the first adventure would cause that player's next PC to be even more an outsider in the second adventure than usual. The strong narrative connection between the original group could itself be a problem. The other was I wasn't sure I or any group I was acquainted with could pull it off.

This would allow the players to steer events how they will but it means several gaps of a year or two between adventures.

I'd avoid that word 'steer'. Accept that by employing this literary technique you are rail roading the players. This is one of the classic rail road techniques. It's highly unlikely that anything the PC's will do will substantially alter the games history if you have this set up to the extent that you have to make up an adventure other than the one you had planned. All you will actually have is the color of having been there and having been involved (similar perhaps to the fact that in Mass Effect your decisions never really change anything but the color of the story).

Does anyone have experience in doing this or are there any obvious problems to avoid

The obvious problem could be players that refuse to accept the rail roading technique on principle. By doing this sort of big hand wave, you are inevitably going to narrate player action. You are going to say something like, "Six years pass uneventfully in the realms. The reign of King Bumpkiss is wise and peaceful. In the spring of 3106, whole the village of Greenhaven is preparing for the harvest festival...." And some PC's is potentially going to say, in effect, "Wait a minute, I'm still 2nd level? My character would never have spent the past six years just sitting around the village working as a hedge mage. I would have gone looking for adventures. I should be like 20th level by now. Most campaigns I go from 1st to 20th level in like 2 game months. I'm motivated. Let's find some treasure. Then we can deal with whatever game event the DM has decided is going to happen in the spring of 3106."

Or the player may feel that there needs to be some system for working out what resources he can accrue in the down time - money, XP, items, research, etc. Or he may be of a thespian inclination and say, "If my character is going to hang around the village for six years, apparently settled down, he's going to take a wife, have children, start a business and so forth. What kids to I have now? Can I have a stat block for my wife? "

When we've done these sorts of things in the past, they've solely been when the PC's have reached an obvious resting point and have made the decision to settle down. That is, they have taken wives, retired from active adventuring, and taken up roles other than itinerant heroes. Then it makes sense to extrapolate what happens in the intervening years and move to the next crisis that might actually draw the attention of such renowned individuals. It doesn't necessarily make sense in the case of 1st level characters, and in general a random group of 1st level characters with typical backstories won't make a lot of sense in the context of 'several uneventful years pass where nothing happens you would take an active hand in because you are content with your life'. I would think you'd need to ask players to create characters where that assumption did make sense and where being settled down was the normal and desired state that the characters would be in, so that they'd only reluctantly be dragged out of it to deal with say, saving the world (and not anything less).

Last edited:

I have tried it a few times, but about half of my attempts ended in true failure.

We had one very horrible experience that I will share with you.

I told my 4 3e players we were skipping 4 months, and that ment skipping the whole summer and into the winter. One PC asked if we could go over a few things he was doing... well we started to go through his spell research (rather normal downtime) and the cleric decided to make a really cool magic item. then the rogue decided to look into something, and the fighter something else... it took the entire weekly game and only made it less then a month... then the fighter and rogue decided they were going to try to find a dungeon that had been hinted at for many games before. we finaly decided long down time was a bad idea, because it was turning into half the party still wanting to adventure...

having said that every deadlands game we played that lasted any real time had long streatches of down time... and we are playing an old world of darkness Vampire game that started in 1022ad and is now in 1500ad and about to jump another 40 or so years...

Omegaxicor

First Post
Thanks for all the advice, I have already considered many of those "problems" and dealt with them but some are particularly troubling. I will have to think if I can cover those eventualities without "railroading" the players too much.

Two main issues are that 1) The world is largely...undiscovered (I forget the word) so the player's and the population of the city are weary of heading outside of the city since they might randomly come upon a level 5 monster while wandering the forest, this means that adventures are fewer in number and are not as available, so the Caster won't have the XP to make scrolls and can't just go and kill Goblins because noone knows where they are and the players are risking a serious case of...death

and 2) the Fighter wouldn't be able to save enough money to pay the Blacksmith to pump up his weapons.

the lack of available daily ruins reachable without problems does limit the player's ability to gain things quicker, of course later on when the party are a higher level they can feel more confident going up against the level 5 monsters and can journey further a field and begin to...well begin to be adventurers rather than part-time heroes

but I think I might have to reconsider some aspects before the campaign begins

HardcoreDandDGirl

First Post
I love long down times, and we normally try to time it so that we can email in-between games what we do for those years... sometimes I do go cheat on my guys with different adventuring parties... my Hobgoblin Warblade even worked for the Lich that was a BBEG twice, and that lead to an awkward talk in game... "Why yes I did help raid that evil village and slay there demon knights... no the fact that they all had symbols of pelor on them didn't accure to me..."

N'raac

First Post
To me, the important thing is to ensure everyone is on page for the same game. Don't wait until the end of the first scenario to say "and two years go by uneventfully". Discuss the model up front - complete with the expectation of gets done in the intervening periods (nothing; nothing noteworthy so no xp, wealth, items, etc.; everyone submits a "what I've been up to" summary within the ground rules, etc.)

Omegaxicor

First Post
I love long down times, and we normally try to time it so that we can email in-between games what we do for those years... sometimes I do go cheat on my guys with different adventuring parties... my Hobgoblin Warblade even worked for the Lich that was a BBEG twice, and that lead to an awkward talk in game... "Why yes I did help raid that evil village and slay their demon knights... no the fact that they all had symbols of pelor on them didn't occur to me..."

That sounds awesomely funny but kinda awkward, I love it.

Hardcore, yes that would be the first thing I mention, the players would know that they are essentially living through a flashback for the start of the campaign. I am unsure how to enforce the "noone goes on an adventure" part though, I get that noone leaves the town and gains experience but not all quests are combat, in a few years there have been no unexplained murders, political intrigue, etc...I have plenty of time to come up with finer solutions.

...Hobgoblin Warblade??!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads