Hawkeye Trailer

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm OK with lighter tone. It's good to mix things up a bit and Marvel, so far, has been pretty good at it.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Definitely lighter in tone than I was expecting. I think that might be the way to make Hawkeye interesting.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, which is to be expected, given the font they are using for the title. That's the way it looked for Matt Fraction's run on Hawkeye's comic which... leaned a bit to the absurd, in a pretty good way.

In Age of Ultron, the quote, "The city is flying and we're fighting an army of robots. And I have a bow and arrow. Nothing makes sense," is the Matt Fraction style of looking at the character.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I think that might be the way to make Hawkeye interesting.

Is that even possible?

I am reasonably certain at this point that by pushing out a Hawkeye series, Disney has just confirmed that they are run by Energy Vampires.

giphy.gif

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
This was a really good run. Hawkeye is cool.

That a character has had good runs in the comics (a point I do not disagree with!) is not the same as saying, "Hawkeye, in the MCU, and as portrayed by Jeremy Renner, is cool."

I feel that Hawkeye started uncool, and got progressively uncooler the harder they tried* (look, a family! look, he goes really hardcore!). YMMV. :)

*First law of cool- you can't try to be cool.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That a character has had good runs in the comics (a point I do not disagree with!) is not the same as saying, "Hawkeye, in the MCU, and as portrayed by Jeremy Renner, is cool."

What is past is past, what he was is irrelevant. Whether he will be cool in this series is the question.

Stalker0

Legend
I think one of the strengths of the MCU is the widest variety of genres its trying to use, to ensure that it captures the widest audience. Trying out a "Christmas Comedy" seems a reasonable step to that.

The question is, will this clash too harshly with the "I've done these terrible things in my past" element. Having Hawkeye face down his demons while funny music is playing may be too much a tonal clash.

But that's a wait and see, everyone of the TV shows gets a least 1 episode from me. This trailer definitely intrigued me, as the show does look very different from what I was expecting.

Remove ads