• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Headed for rune

AeroDm

First Post
To complete the ranger preview, animal companions. The aim was to embrace the *feel* of animal companions but minimize the bookkeeping and ensure those ever present meaningful tradeoffs across levels.

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Like the unlocking powers idea a lot, particular with the group focus that Herremann suggested. Combine that with the mana tokens, and it gets very interesting. Get blooded, roll a 1, etc, whole party gets a token sitting out in the middle of the table. Longer they hold out, better bang they get from it. That would allow some tougher fights where the main decision point is do you get desperate and use what you have now, or risk another round to get more and potentially win with less overall resource drain?

(I'm not the "CJ" posting on your site, by the way--in case you couldn't tell from the different style. :D)

AeroDm

First Post
Like the unlocking powers idea a lot, particular with the group focus that Herremann suggested. Combine that with the mana tokens, and it gets very interesting. Get blooded, roll a 1, etc, whole party gets a token sitting out in the middle of the table. Longer they hold out, better bang they get from it. That would allow some tougher fights where the main decision point is do you get desperate and use what you have now, or risk another round to get more and potentially win with less overall resource drain?

(I'm not the "CJ" posting on your site, by the way--in case you couldn't tell from the different style. :D)
Thanks. I think most of the newer posts are simple ideas that people could tailor their own way for many editions of D&D. Lots of good comments on how different folks would tailor in different directions. I never realized the connection (despite there not being one) between Crazy Jerome and CJ. Despite that, CJ has provided some solid ideas and was actually the first person to point me towards zones. He just doesn't really pull punches in his comments so I figured I wouldn't pull punches back. Hopefully he is even handed in not wanting the kiddy gloves on or else I probably lost one of my few commenters... :)

AeroDm

First Post
Updated the original post, but here's the text.

It has been a while but I figured I would update this thread to be a complete repository of the project. I put Runeward on hiatus until I see how 5e goes, but there is a mostly finished alpha draft available on the site. I am wrapping up some parting comments on the alpha draft to make sure I've communicated everything in it, but I welcome any questions or comments. In sum, it was really fun and I think it is a neat little project with some innovative ideas. I know it can't stand up to the production value of 5e, though, and since the heart of the project was seeing if you could crowd source an RPG, that is sort of dead in the water. Thanks to all the folks that chimed in and, if 5e tanks, maybe we'll all pick it up sooner than we hoped.

Here's the link if you're interested.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads