• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Headed for rune

AeroDm

First Post
Update 3/21/2012. It has been a while but I figured I would update this thread to be a complete repository of the project. I put Runeward on hiatus until I see how 5e goes, but there is a mostly finished alpha draft available on the site. I am wrapping up some parting comments on the alpha draft to make sure I've communicated everything in it, but I welcome any questions or comments. In sum, it was really fun and I think it is a neat little project with some innovative ideas. I know it can't stand up to the production value of 5e, though, and since the heart of the project was seeing if you could crowd source an RPG, that is sort of dead in the water. Thanks to all the folks that chimed in and, if 5e tanks, maybe we'll all pick it up sooner than we hoped.

Way older updates. Updated first post as a table of contents for newcomers to the site. There is a smattering of additional content on the site but some of it is already obsolete due to the great feedback I've received so far.

One-shot analyses of game design
These articles are mostly one-off mathematical arguments for some specific topic that caught my fancy. They often include references of how it would apply to a specific game, but the main point of the article is neutral.

Articles on general game design theory
These are general opinion articles on the theory of game design. Lots of room for other opinions and discussion...

Articles on zone combat
Zone combat is probably the thing I've developed that people have taken the most interest in, so it gets its own section. It is an evolving rule set, but could be used in other systems with a little effort

Articles specific to my game
These are articles that take a lot of the lessons and theories discussed above and apply them to producing an alt-D&D game.

Tools or utilities for GMs
Some general resources for GMs of any game, setting, or campaign.

Stuff unique to my campaign
Samples from my own setting that I sometimes use to illustrate a point or just wanted to share. Be nice.

Last edited:

AeroDm

First Post
One of the virtues of 3e class design (and 2e kits) is that they provided bundles of powers and within those bundles you could tuck little gems like "trackless step" or other features that players wouldn't necessarily go out and purchase with resources. I feel some of that was lost in 4e and this article discusses my working solution to bring it back.

AeroDm

First Post
Two more followups on the idea of zonal combat refining the idea and explaining how zones help "adjust the dial" of complexity from battle to battle.

The more time I spend with the idea the more excited I am getting by its prospects but I'm still a bit nervous that in a few weeks I'm going to find some fatal flaw that makes me go back to the standard D&D format of square-by-square tactical combat. Fingers crossed.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
I just wanted to chime in here to say that after reading through some of your blog entries I liked the logic behind your design, and much of it (though not all) lined up with some of my own ideas that I have been kicking around.

Remove ads