Healer's Lore and Regen effects

neobolts

Explorer
Does the Healer's Lore bonus to effects with the healing keyword apply to regen effects with the healing keyword as well, such as CD: Melora's Tide? A lot of it comes down to the definition of "when you grant healing" in Healer's Lore, does granting regen count as granting healing?

Level 1 Cleric with 20 wisdom:

Option 1: Healer's Lore doesn't count.

Melora's Tide gives regen 2

Option 2: Healer's Lore does count.

Melora's Tide gives regen 7 (2+5(HL))

fba827

Adventurer
No idea on the official rule for this. But, as for my take on it, I would be overcome with glee if it did, but I don't think it does (i.e. Option 1 in your OP)

Yes, the Healing keyword is there, but I see healing and regen as two seperate concepts (though they do similar things) under the broader Healing keyword heading (as an aside, cleric powers that grant "resist" also use the Healing keyword). So, no, Healer's Lore (in my opinion) wouldn't affect regen effects.

Unless I am remembering wrong (I don't have the books nearby) there is one cleric power that does both a little healing and a little regen, I just think that would be way too powerful if Healer's Lore applied to both of those effects _as a standard base cleric ability_ (it isn't even an optional feat but instead something all clerics automaticallyl have). I might have a different opinion if it was a feat or path choice rather than a blanket ability for all.

GoLu

First Post
option 3:
Melora's Tide gives regen 2 and also heals 5 damage up front.

(I'm not saying that's the correct option, mind you. But it is another possibility to consider.)

Arbitrary

First Post
It has the Healing keyword and whenever you grant healing with one of your powers you add a bonus equal to your wisdom modifier to the amount of healing done.

You use Melora's Tide, do 0+3 healing immediately and bestow Regen 2.

Cadfan

First Post
Rules Compendium said:
HEALER'S LORE
Your study of healing allows you to make the most of your healing prayers. When you grant healing with one of your cleric powers that has the healing keyword, add your Wisdom modifier to the hit points the recipient regains.
I'd argue that an effect which grants regeneration doesn't count. Because it doesn't "grant healing." It grants "regeneration."

Likewise, Divine Vigor has the healing keyword, but it just gives your allies back their Second Wind. It doesn't "grant healing" at all.

I think that's the simplest explanation. Are you, right now, getting hit points back as a result of my cleric powers? If so, have extra hit points equal to my wisdom bonus.

James McMurray

First Post
I agree with Cadfan on this. That interpretation makes regen powers useful without being broken, and adheres close to the letter of the rules.

Option 4.

Melora's Tide is a Feat Power, not a Cleric Power, and receives nothing from Healer's Lore.

That only solve the issue with Melora's tide. There are other Cleric powers that grant regen.

DracoSuave

First Post
This too! Someone made that point in another thread and it makes a lot of sense (at least in RAW, I have no idea about RAI)

Given that it's a feat not restricted to Clerics there's no way it's a Cleric power.

Paladins have the Channel Divinity class feature too!

Regarding Healing Lore and Regeneration...

Regeneration is healing, by rules definition, and if the regeneration is granted by a cleric's power with the Healing keyword, it certainly qualifies to be affected by the class feature.

I dunno what to say about this. The possibilities are regen 5 becomes regen 8, or regen 5 heals an extra 3 the first pip (provided the user is above 0 hp)

My gut tells me it's per healing event, not per power use, which makes it effective regen 8.

Last edited:

Remove ads