Hee hee! I found an error in this month's Gamestoppers!

Nareau

Explorer
Actually, Vaxalon, I was asking why she COULD sneak attack it (during her first round).

As to why she can't sneak attack it later (in its gut), one could easily argue that it's dark in there. And you can't sneak attack through concealment.

At the very least, this does show there's a precadent for being able to critical when you can't sneak attack: When your target is concealed.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
At the very least, this does show there's a precadent for being able to critical when you can't sneak attack: When your target is concealed.

[blink]

Uh... or any time he isn't flanked or denied his Dex bonus?

Any creature immune to critical hits is immune to sneak attacks. But the relationship doesn't work the other way.

All St Bernards are dogs. Not all dogs are St Bernards.

-Hyp.

gnfnrf

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

All St Bernards are dogs. Not all dogs are St Bernards.

A-HA! A logical error! At least one St. Bernard was not a dog!

Archdeacon Bernard de Menthon, founder of the monastery where the dogs were first raised in 1050AD, was not himself a dog.

Now, to rescue the post from complete OT-Hell... ummm...

I think the constricted nature of being in a creatures gullet is good enough reason for you being unable to sneak attack it (if it's vital organs are at your feet, turning around is difficult), but I'm not sure that is in the rules.

--
gnfnrf

Croaker

First Post
One rational explanation for Lidda getting to sneak attack while in the gut is that she did, indeed, have a flank. As I recall, a creature is flanked if a line between 2 opponents passes through it, so if Lidda is inside and Krusk is in melee outside, then the purple worm is _always_ between them. I wonder how this logic would work with a regular, non-swallowing grapple?

ps-in the last Gamestoppers, they had a size Small goblin wielding a size Large longspear, so add that to the list of errors

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Ahhh, there's errors in every Gamestoppers, it's a horribly buggy thing, apparently written by people who don't have someone else proofread. (Always have someone else check your work.)

As for the Longspear, the statblock mentions that it's a sized down Small Longspear, so the Goblin, could properly weild it. It's just really freaky that the Small Longspear still has reach. I know it doesn't say to change it in the DMG but I know I wouldn't allow it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
As for the Longspear, the statblock mentions that it's a sized down Small Longspear, so the Goblin, could properly weild it. It's just really freaky that the Small Longspear still has reach. I know it doesn't say to change it in the DMG but I know I wouldn't allow it.

Why would a goblin barbarian want a Small longspear? Wouldn't a Medium one make more sense?

Although I guess a goblin ranger could use one in each hand... :)

-Hyp.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Well, I may have been smoking crack. Under the rogue's sneak-attack description, it states that

A rogue can only sneak attack a living creature with a discernible anatomy. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is also not vulnerable to sneak attacks.

For some reason, I thought there was similar language regarding critical hits: that you couldn't critical a creature with no discernible anatomy. But I was completely unable to find that reference.

Oh, well -- maybe it's me who should be thumped!
Daniel

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Kukri in a Haversack and she did not take a MEA to pull it out of a sheath or some sort of wrapper? Sorry Lidda but you reach back for your blade and notice it's razor sharp point protruding from the side of the Haversack. And oh, did I mention all of your gear that was inside is now lost forever?
If the bag is overloaded, or if sharp objects pierce it (from
inside or outside), the bag ruptures and is ruined. All contents
are lost forever.

Remove ads