Heinsoo on Alignment & Rebranding

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I really like the oWoD Nature/Demeanor system, where characters have their real personalities and then the side they present to the world; I think it promotes great roleplaying. But it's not exactly conducive to paladins, ablaze with their holy aura, cutting a swath through devils in the Nine Hells. (If it doesn't support the "Paladin in Hell" picture in the 1E PHB, it's missing a key part of D&D DNA, for my money.)

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
So, working backwards through the justifications Rob provides, we have...

Rob Heinsoo said:
a serious misunderstanding of the value of traditional alignment language
So, Rob is kind of copping here to the 4e designers in this case not knowing what value they were throwing out. They didn't appreciate the fact that the old alignment language had important meaning for a lot of players and possibly in the culture as a whole (even a few degrees removed from a D&D table, "Chaotic Good" has some meaning).

I'm betting that alignment wasn't the only situation where this misunderstanding occurred.

If 5e has the Nine Alignments back in its core rules/assumptions (as it seems to be doing), even if it provides a lot of flexibility to individual tables about changing that, part of what we'll be seeing is a better understanding of that value, a recognition that there is something important in having those alignments, even if it comes with some problems.

I'd be curious to see where else the 5e team might be learning that lesson.

Rob Heinsoo said:
yen for new stories
This one makes me a bit sad for 4e in general, honestly. :(

It's evident to me that a lot of 4e was designed with this intent: to be able to tell NEW stories with this 30+ year old (at the time) game. To reinvigorate and refresh. And that sounds like an awesome thing that anyone who likes this game should be able to get behind and identify with. We all would like to be able to tell new stories and have new tales in D&D.

I wonder how it dovetails with the above, though. If you want to do something new, then you're subject to confirmation bias about the old thing -- you're less likely to recognize and respect the value that it has. Just get rid of it, it's not the new hotness I'm into, it's only holding me back.

But that ignores context of the new idea. The logic is that to tell new stories, we need a new alignment system. But that's not true. New things are not sprung fully-formed out of the aether of nothingness and inspiration with complete freedom on all sides. All great new stories come from stories that have been told before, re-invigorated. The entire fantasy genre is nothing more than a re-tread of myth and legend from bygone days, fanfiction about fairies. The only hope any story has of standing tall is by standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before. Everything is a remix. The Nine Alignment system itself is evidence of that: a new story told on the shoulders of OD&D and Elric.

In order to foster new stories, we need the freedom to stand on those shoulders, but we don't need to cut down the giants. You can tell new stories in D&D without disregarding the value of the old ones. A modular game system like 5e would seem to be embracing that idea, enabling new stories without necessarily disregarding the old ones. The old stories are good, and that's especially true in a game based on stories whose trappings largely haven't changed for thousands of years. ;)

Rob Heinsoo said:
Rebranding imperatives
This is the one that makes me the most unhappy.

I'm suspicious whenever marketing is giving R&D (which is what the designers are) their marching orders. It seems like there's something remarkably backwards about the business model when that happens. Rather than making a valuable product and preparing it well for the most receptive market, they're concerned with finding a receptive market and making a product that (might?) meet that market's needs. Re-branding influencing game design speaks to some severely mis-aligned priorities in management, I think.

It also speaks to that element of "cutting down the giants" I mentioned before, of dumping the old message the game was sending, disregarding the value it has, and imagining that naked innovation stands on its own.

WotC is a very brand-focused company, and there's some strengths that come with that, but this is one of the real risks that you face when you worship at the altar of branding: surrendering that which makes you unique, distinct, and successful in favor of focus groups and a myopic sales team. That's rarely a trade-off without some significant negative externalities.

What makes me feel bad about this is that it's not a misaligned aspiration or an ignorance of history. Those things are fairly easy to correct with context and education, and people are usually happy to see this at a different angle. What hurts with this is that when it is part of the corporate culture, when it is part of the ideology of the people making the decisions and writing the checks, it hits a lot more resistance and it's a lot more difficult to change.

That makes me worry that it is still an influence on 5e. That, unlike the previous two reasons, this is not something that they've learned from and grown from. That branding initiatives are still leading design.

That's concerning, from One Cosmology To Rule Them All on down.

That might just be my cynical side speaking, though. If WotC is a smart company with smart leaders who aren't yoked to an ideological business model, it's something they can overcome and even benefit from. Re-branding isn't always inappropriate, it's just not usually very good design criteria.

It's the part I have the most concerns about 5e not overcoming, though. And it's the part where 5e is the most vulnerable to its competition. One thing is for dang sure: if WotC leaves the D&D brand on the table and seeks a new identity, someone else is going to pick up that old brand and make a mint on it. Every time WotC "re-brands" a D&D term, Paizo makes $100. (That's an inaccurate but memorable soundbite, for those interested in such things. ;)).

Anyhoo, interesting find, [MENTION=6683099]dd.stevenson[/MENTION] , thanks for sharing!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I will say -- as a non-4E player -- that the new cosmology obviously did encourage new and different adventures at many 4E tables. I think it's pretty clear, in retrospect, that the Great Wheel shouldn't have been stuffed in a soundproof vault the way it was in the initial release, but that change actually did advance their goals, as did the different set of core races in PHB1 (and I say that as a gnome illusionist lover very unhappy with what happened to gnomes and illusion magic in the game).

I have a hard time seeing "new stories" springing out of the weird hybrid alignment system they trotted out, though.

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
But that ignores context of the new idea. The logic is that to tell new stories, we need a new alignment system. But that's not true. New things are not sprung fully-formed out of the aether of nothingness and inspiration with complete freedom on all sides. All great new stories come from stories that have been told before, re-invigorated. The entire fantasy genre is nothing more than a re-tread of myth and legend from bygone days, fanfiction about fairies. The only hope any story has of standing tall is by standing on the shoulders of the giants that came before. Everything is a remix. The Nine Alignment system itself is evidence of that: a new story told on the shoulders of OD&D and Elric.
There are certain stories you simply cannot tell in the D&D Universe pre-4e. The rules of the game and the fluff that goes with it says no. The 9 alignments and the ability to detect alignments meant certain things in terms of story. It also meant the planes had to work with the alignment system. Which further decreased the number of stories you could tell.

Now, I'm not saying that people didn't just ignore these problems and make up new stories anyways. People are creative and can get around restrictions. However, half of the time it seemed like people needed to spend an increasing amount of time explaining WHY and HOW their adventure broke the standard D&D assumptions.

For example:
"So, the king's new wife is secretly a succubus. She's controlling him. Wait, I can't do that. The king's best friend is a Paladin so he'd be able to detect that the queen was evil. But wait, maybe the succubus has a magic item of some sort that masks her alignment."

I can see that they might have wanted to say "Let's let people make those stories without needing justification for the fact that they cause problems with the rules."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But it's not exactly conducive to paladins, ablaze with their holy aura, cutting a swath through devils in the Nine Hells. (If it doesn't support the "Paladin in Hell" picture in the 1E PHB, it's missing a key part of D&D DNA, for my money.)

Pick a Nature of "martyr", "guardian" or "cavalier" and a demeanor of "perfectionist" or "supplicant", and you're all set, there!

Make him a Mage, of the Celestial Chorus, a bit of Prime magic to make that holy aura....

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
For example:
"So, the king's new wife is secretly a succubus. She's controlling him. Wait, I can't do that. The king's best friend is a Paladin so he'd be able to detect that the queen was evil. But wait, maybe the succubus has a magic item of some sort that masks her alignment."

This has been an issue with the game since its inception. Needing to cut huge swathes out of the game in order to use it in a compelling way... and thus inventing reasons (none of which are technically supported by any rules in the game) in order to do so. It's the reason why something like Tomb of Horrors lists a dozen plus spells that don't work withing the tomb... for reasons that are in no way supported or replicable with the game's mechanics... all so that the adventure can be run in a way that makes it exciting and interesting.

So the idea of wanting the cull the game a bit so that it opens up more options to more and different stories is a good one. It really then just comes down to the best way to do it. They tried with 4E with making wholesale changes (rather than more incremental ones of 2E from 1E or 3.5 from 3.0)... and only in hindsight did they realize that those kind of changes went too far for too many people. 5E seems to be more of a return to the middle ground... while at the same time tries to maintain a much more open field so that more and varied stories can continue to be told.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I can see that they might have wanted to say "Let's let people make those stories without needing justification for the fact that they cause problems with the rules."

Perhaps, but that's a slightly different track to "new stories." Not to put TOO much weight on a 140 character limit, but removing barriers to storytelling is a thing that can only happen with "old stories." Succubi manipulating the king? That's an old story.

Enabling new stories is a different goal. I can see how the new alignment system served that goal ("we want to center on Good vs. Evil, and re-invigorate the mythic association between order being Good and chaos being Evil and with these gods and primordials, wow, that's a sky vs. earth concept, holy wow, that's a story D&D has never done before, this works so nice!"), and how burning the old alignment system would make sense in the context of that goal. I can also see how throwing out the old alignment system is disregarding history rather than standing atop it ("now, the only story you can tell is this ordered-gods-vs.-chaotic-elementals mythic tale. Do it, or GTFO of the game.")

Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I will say -- as a non-4E player -- that the new cosmology obviously did encourage new and different adventures at many 4E tables. I think it's pretty clear, in retrospect, that the Great Wheel shouldn't have been stuffed in a soundproof vault the way it was in the initial release, but that change actually did advance their goals, as did the different set of core races in PHB1 (and I say that as a gnome illusionist lover very unhappy with what happened to gnomes and illusion magic in the game).

That's a bit why I'm sad about that. 4e totally went for this goal of ennabling new stories, and it was pretty successful at the goal, it is just clear to me that realizing that goal didn't have to mean tossing out the old (like the Great Wheel). And I wonder what would have come of a 4e that treated the old material a little less like Abraham Simpson and a little more like a wizened tribe elder. I wonder if we wouldn't have a lot more people totally into what 4e brought to the table if it didn't also act like a lover jealous of all your exes.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Pick a Nature of "martyr", "guardian" or "cavalier" and a demeanor of "perfectionist" or "supplicant", and you're all set, there!

Make him a Mage, of the Celestial Chorus, a bit of Prime magic to make that holy aura....
A Supplicant/Cavalier could also describe Brienne of Tarth from Game of Thrones, though, which isn't quite the same thing as a Lawful Good Paladin, in my read, although I'm sure it could be argued that she fits.

That said, I would play the hell out of a Mage: The Sorcerers Crusade character fighting their way through Hell. That would be amazing.

Remathilis

Legend
Heinsoo: Rebranding imperatives, yen for new stories, & a serious misunderstanding of the value of traditional alignment language

Emphasis mine. At the risk of coming this side of edition-warring:

I've had a horrible sinking theory since 2008 that 4e was a reaction to trying to close the barn doors that the OGL left wide open. So much of the game seemed different-for-differents-sake that it felt like someone overlooking things kept telling people to "change it up" and re-invent the wheel. Look at just some of the things we saw change:

1.) Alignment. While early O/BD&D did use the three-alignment system, most of D&D 1977-2007 used the nine-alignment grid that was common parlance among gamers. We might debate the finer points of what Lawful Good behavior IS, but no one could ignore the fact LG was recognizable. Changing that robbed its special symmetry.
2.) The Planes. I admit, I like 4e's cosmology, esp the feywild. However, The Great Wheel was again 30 years old at that time and had survived rebranding (Baator, Mechanus, Arborea) before. 4e's cosmology tossed much of that into the dumpster, only to slowly bring it back anyway in the form of Astral Realms anyway.
3.) Monster naming: Many monsters got descriptive adjectives added to them. Mostly, this was to distinguish them from monsters of the same type but different level/stats, but it also did create non-OGL variants of rather mundane monsters, like giant scorpions, wights, or kobolds.
4.) Tightening of Equipment to Archetype: In 2008-9, rogue were pretty much limited short blades and crossbows with leather armor by their powers, creating a distinct "image" of a D&D rogue. That makes it easy to produce art, minis, etc when you know a rogue is going to have a crossbow and daggers, a ranger has a longbow and two swords, a paladin wears plate while a fighter is in scale, a wizard has an orb or a staff, etc.
5.) Initial Offerings: 4e was the first edition of D&D since Basic that didn't begin with a druid, bard, or gnome in the PHB. It instead added the IP-locked Warlord and Warlock, as well as the Dragonborn and Eladrin (both not in the 3e SRD) to the mix. Even tieflings (OGL thanks to the Monster Manual) got a revised origin, abilities, and unified look (easier to make minis, art, etc).
6.) Power Names: Yeah, a few iconics (Magic Missile, Fireball, Sleep, Cure Light Wounds) reappeared in the PHB as selectable powers, but a goodly chunk of powers were new names. Some of this was necessity (rogues and fighters didn't have powers, new names were required) but due to the nature of the power system and siloing of spells into rituals, it was very common to see wizards and clerics (not to mention druids, sorcerers, and bards) never learn-nor-cast a single "spell" from 3e in favor of all new powers, spells, and variants.

I used to say 4e didn't feel like D&D, but I sometimes think that was an intended effect. It wasn't supposed to feel like 1e/2e/3e, it was just borrowing some of its concepts and dressing. I think part of it was designed to create a "new" D&D that wasn't open like 3e's OGL. (Indeed, the 4e license shows how much they wanted to keep it in house). Doing that would require new races, classes, spells, monsters, places and terminology. So 4e went back and reinvented the wheel on things to create the "new stories" that Paizo, Goodman, or anyone else couldn't recreate with the SRD.

Incidentally, when Essentials came out I think the tide had shifted and they had opted to "embrace" the traditions of old rather than continue building new (or rebuilding). Tonally, it shares more in common with Next's "Old with a modern twist" than 4e's "Rebuilt from the Ground Up" approach.

Remove ads