• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Heirophant PrC - Is it a good Choice?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
It's like an Archmage, but without the spellcasting advancement.
It's nice for Epic level games (when your spells will come from Feats and not levels).

-- N

Grogtar

First Post
Yes yes and yes.

There are no downsides to that prestige class. You get full casting, full wild shape, good progression's of just about everything you'd want.

Especially if your DM allws you to get in with Percocious Apprentice from Complete Arcane.

You can end the entire progression with 19th level Druid with 17 levels of Wizard.

gabrion

First Post
@2 posts up-The question is about Heirophant, not Arcane Heirophant (I think).

@OP-One thing it can be very useful for is ranged healing. If you have a cleric type who tends to stay away from them melee (for instance an archer cleric, as all clerics should be), the divine reach ability is extremely useful. Other than that I don't think the class offers too much.

Grogtar

First Post
Whoopsie. Sorry about that, I diddnt know about a Heriphant class. If you can tell me what book it is in I will try and post a more in depth review :~)

Once again sorry.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
I think he means Hierophant - as in the original one in the DMG.

I think this PrC - as most PrCs should be but no longer are - are really dependant upon the campaign and the character. Each of the Heirophant's special abilities could make them absolutely rock - or be pointless ... depending on the situation. For example.

Blast Infidel - A party made of of mostly LGs (paladins, clerics, etc) who intentionally go out and get hired to hunt down people that are most likely CEs could make really good use of the Blast Infidel special ability. But in a party that takes up any old assignment, this special ability may work part of the time but really isn't going to make you shine.

Divine Reach - This ability could be nice for healing or high dex characters as stated above. But it might be useless for a cleric who has low dex and refuses to be the party healer anyway!

Gift of the Divine - When playing with other high CHA characters, this ability really lets the heirophant let CHA be a dump stat. Want to successfully turn wth a low CHA character ... just hand it over to the others who can do more with it anyway.

Mastery of Energy - Incredibly useful in a party of Undead Hunters ... but if the party doesn't fight many undead this will be useless, really.

Metamagic Feat - Not a big gain or loss ... just a general application of a specific ability.

... and so on and so forth. This is the way I think all PrCs should be. Really great for specific adventures but not desirable for others.

Shadowbane

First Post
My character is LN. That would kind of limit his faith healing and blast infidel options, making the heirophant undesirable, right?

gabrion

First Post
Shadowbane said:
My character is LN. That would kind of limit his faith healing and blast infidel options, making the heirophant undesirable, right?

If hte rest of the party is different alignments that you.

If you are a ranged support/healing cleric, then the Divine Reach may still be worth one level.

Remove ads