D&D 5E Heliod, God of the Sun

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Stats and everything look great, but, there is absolutely no way in heck that Heliod of all people is Lawful Good
Thanks heaps, mate!
Heh, I've been reading about Heliod in his MtG Gamepedia entry (as part of research, as well as reading Mythic Odysseys of Theros), and even the Theros depiction of him describes him as more fickle than anything, using the word mercurial, while also personifying order and laws. And Theros itself has him as LG.
With all that, 5e alignments are more like guidelines :D or perhaps more accurately, his alignment is Zeus.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Yes, but not at once. So for calculating CR30, are the hp right, is the right question I think (and maybe what @Zardnaar meant?).
That is true. It seems a little low for a CR 30, but I haven't run the numbers to be sure. It is within the range that the Blog-of-Holding metric allows
Good points! It's also an excellent idea to run the numbers through the Blog of Holding metric (will try to do so; from a fast scan of the text Heliod does seem to fall within his CR range); something that might shore up his CR is that Heliod essentially has unassailable regeneration.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Is Theros designed to have such high level opponents?
Truthfully I'm not too sure, I'm not that familiar with the setting, but the gods are more visible and intrusive (I feel is the best descriptive) in the setting, and the gods are always on the lookout for champions. Everything in the setting also seems larger than life, and heroes are more empowered and heroic.
What's another driving force behind statting Heliod as he is is so I could use it as a baseline and ceiling for the eventual creation of a host of other gods from a suite of pantheons.

This guy looks like an appropriate TPK for a level 20 party imho.
Do you need to summon a Tarrasque to aid you in combat? I would love, if someone does the math, of how an encounter between those two mobs would play out.
That'd be awesome to see!

Last edited:

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
What did he do?
Essentially, his conflict with Purphoros due to his overwhelming arrogance and desire for glory and praise escalated into a godswar; he self-styled himself the Ruler of the Gods without the input of the others. He also betrayed Elspeth, after making her his Champion, because of Heliod reasons.

Last edited:

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
Someone on the DNDNext Reddit suggested a shape changing ability, and that's an excellent idea; his flavor even describes him changing into a golden stag or pegasus, and so I've edited in Change Shape.

Zardnaar

Legend
Essentially, his conflict with Purphoros due to his overwhelming arrogance and desire for glory and praise escalated into a godswar; he self-styled himself the Ruler of the Gods without the input of the others. He also betrayed Elspeth, after making her his Champion, because of Heliod reasons.

LG doesn't mean saint lol.

Greek type gods also a bit more erm human like than most aka they screw up.

Had an NPC Paladin like that once. Players nicknamed Foot up Ass, can't remember his actual name.

Very nitpicky and self righteous.

Remove ads