Hello! A hexblade/RDD/Blackguard build. Please criticize!

hanniball

First Post
You have a great concept, but a few things need a bit of tweaking.

First, while you may be aware of this, it wasn't listed anywhere in your post; utilizing the Divine Shield feat while wielding a Greatsword is only possible if you wear a buckler. This imposes a -1 penalty on your attack rolls, but the AC boost may well be worth it. Also, you cannot take this feat until after you've gain your third level in Blackguard.

Second, you're dropping two feats to improve an ability that is only usable 2/day. I'm not familiar with any means of increasing your number of Curses/day without more Hexblade levels, so I would strongly recommend replacing your Ability Focus feats with something more melee oriented or dropping the Dragon Disciple Prc for the Half-Dragon template and grabbing more Hexblade levels.

Third, I highly recommend the Combat Brute [tactical] feat (CW) for just about any Blackguard build. It appears that you'll be making regular use of your Power Attack feat which plays right into the Momentum Swing maneuver.

Fourth, I'd swap Intimidating Strike for Brutal Strike (PhB II). You'd have to swap your greatsword for a bludgeoning weapon, but it's usable during a full-attack instead of as a standard action, it requires a Fort save which your Curse and Aura debuff, and it makes your opponent sickened instead of shaken (reducing weapon damage rolls as well).

Here is my suggested level and feat progression:

Hexblade 6/Blackguard 3/Hex 1/Dragon Disciple 10

Power Attack (Human), Cleave (1), Improved Sunder (3), Combat Casting (Hex 5), Combat Brute (6), Divine Might (9), Divine Shield (12), Brutal Strike (15), Leap Attack (18)

This focuses more on a Leaping charge into melee the first round of combat, power attacking for 5 or more, activating Divine Might/Shield, and once your Aura of Despair is effecting the opposition tossing on a Curse to add insult to injury. Brutal Strike is just icing on the cake.

Either way...just my 2 cp

Remove ads