Helm of Animate Dead?

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
I'm not terrible good with the item creation feats. I'm trying to make a Helm of Animate Dead. I was curious if anyone has done anything like this? Thanks.

Deadguy

First Post
Psychotic Dreamer said:
I'm not terrible good with the item creation feats. I'm trying to make a Helm of Animate Dead. I was curious if anyone has done anything like this? Thanks.
We need to know a bit more about what is intended for this Helm. Is it meant to be worn by someone and allow them to cast Animate Dead (and if so, how many times)? Or is it meant to be worn by a corpse and thus Animate it? Or perhaps something else?

Guessing that you mean the first and:
  1. it is meant to be used at will (i.e. a command word item with unlimited uses)
  2. it is made by a Cleric (who can castAnimate Dead as a 3rd level spell
  3. it is created at the minimum caster level (5th), and so able to control 10HD of animated dead
    [/list=1] then the cost is:
    1800gp x 3 (spell level) x 5 (caster level) = 27,000gp
    plus 50 x 100 (the cost of 100 black onyx gems required to cast the spell) = 5,000gp

Total cost 32,000gp. Requirements: Animate Dead, Craft Wondrous Items.

Of course, your DM might intervene on cost if he thinks it's unbalanced for the campaign. My own feeling - that it probably should be increased in value slightly (I tend to do so whenever an item voids the requirement for costly and thus limited material components). Say cost it as 35,000gp. Naturally you can reduce this cost by only allowing it to function a certain number of times per day.

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Well I'm the DM acctually. :) It's an item I need for an NPC.

Basically what I'm going for is an item that can be worn and used to cast Animate Undead unlimited times. It would make sense for it to have been created by a Cleric.

What you came up with looks good and makes sense. I thank you.

Remove ads